You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Squawking

Clive Kent 845319

Clive Kent 845319
Posted
Posted

Can anyone help me please, I'm a little bit puzzled as to what the term Squawk Code C means, as a Newbie I have heard this while monitoring ATC transmissions. Do I have to do anything different other than entering the 4 number code into the transponder? I don't want to get airborne and then find I'm asked to do something I don't know.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Hi Clive,

The transponder can be set to do several different things.

In "Standby" all the controller sees is a small dot or cross with no identifying details.

In "Mode Charlie" it is turned on and the controller sees your aircraft tagged with your callsign, altitude, speed and various other things. (In the real world there's also a "Mode Alpha", which we don't use on Vatsim.)

So "Squawk mode Charlie" means to turn the transponder on. You may have a switch in the cockpit which works, or you can use the drop-down menu in Squawkbox. Normally you do this when you enter an active runway, and turn it off as you exit at the end of the flight, but there are variations on this.

Many airport prefer you to keep the transponder on standby if you are flying VFR circuits, but just ask ATC if you are unsure.

Additionally if you are asked to "Squawk ident" you press the ident button or select it from the SB Menu. This causes a marker to appear beside your callsign on the radar screen, so that the controller can confirm he's got the correct aircraft. This is standard procedure when departing from the major London airports, but I'd guess about 50% of the pilots I ask to do this don't know what I'm talking about.

Don't worry if you don't always understand. We were all new once, and as long as you let ATC know when you don't understand we will be happy to help. The only caveat to that is that if the controller is really busy he won't have time to help, so don't start your first flight at a major airport like Heathrow or JFK!

Ruth McTighe

Deputy Director, Vatsim-UK

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Clive Kent 845319
Posted
Posted

Hi Ruth

Many thanks for your reply it has certainly cleared things up for me. I understand all you say it was just the terminology didn;t relate to coming off of Standby.

Thanks again

Clive

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted
This is standard procedure when departing from the major London airports, but I'd guess about 50% of the pilots I ask to do this don't know what I'm talking about.

Only 50% for you? Your quite lucky

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

• 2 months later...
Kevin Barton 876526
Posted
Posted

I have had numerous complaints by ATC that I was not squaking when my transponder was not only tuned correct but the switch is in the XPDR mode or on. Is there another way to enable the transponder and turn on the mode C. Please help I'm lost.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

For the Squawkbox 3 software.

There is a box for Squawkbox 3 during flight where you can turn Squawk C-mode On and Off, you have also a button "Ident" when ATC ask you to select Indent. Squawk C-mode kan also be turned On and Off by select in your aircraft panel if your aircraft has a standard switch for transponder. (Squawkcode means the code for the transponder).

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png