You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

NEW LAPTOP WITH VISTA

Norman Guffick 935816

Norman Guffick 935816
Posted
Posted

Could not get right mouse click results with Vista. Right mouse click results ok in every other programme running (except VRC)

OK tried a few different things

1 Changed to CL[Mod - Happy Thoughts]IC VIEW in Vista - Right mouse click now works, however, more or continous problems:-

a. no clock (above Callsign/freq button

b. no sep timer button (but the space is there when I tick box and apply)

c. no Reminder Button (but the space is there when I tick box and apply)

e. When I send a text message via the text command area box, it does not show on the text recive/display area. However, when I send a second text, the first sent text appears, and, when I send a third text, the second sent text appears.

Seems to me, that the major problem - based on above (a. and e. at least) is a loss of visual display at top and bottom of scope!

But, why should I have to change to CL[Mod - Happy Thoughts]IC VIEW in order to get my right mouse click function?

Is there any tweaking to do with the display settings of VISTA?

Everything works perfect on my old (7 years) laptop which has XP on it.

And, something else:

on XP, there is a "ghost outline" surrounding the "displayed text Area" at bottom of scope (this shows me that there is indeed a box there!

on VISTA CL[Mod - Happy Thoughts]IC VIEW, this "ghost outline is not there! hence, the lack of text showing at extreme bottom of scope?

DITTO "ghost Outlines" surrounding the top of scope buttons

Norm

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Norman,

The laptop you have has an Intel integrated video card. If you check the known issues on VRC you will notice that this is already listed.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

Exact problem I have, dcrease hardware accelaration to help I think.

955672.png

Norman Guffick 935816
Posted
Posted

Ok, its decision time for me ( I have until midnight tonight!)

Options

1. Can I have installed and run XP as a secondary platform running alongside Vista, and will that solve my problem, or

2. Can I have installed a Dedicated Graphics Card (by-p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing the Shared Graphics on board), or

3. Do I take the machine back to the shop tomorrow for a new one with Vista and a Dedicated Graphics Card onboard, or will I still have problems?

Norm

ps Graphics acceleration onboard (shared) can not be altered (tuned or turned down)

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Norm,

If possible see if you can try VRC on another laptop at the store - it doesnt need to be installed, just run from a USB key.

Technically you could dual boot but thats a real pain.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Norman Guffick 935816
Posted
Posted

OK, I have now returned my new laptop to the store for a refund.

Start from scratch now

Questions (to VISTA owners)

1. Does VRC actually work with VISTA?

2. If it does, then which Video/graphics Card/accelerator do you use? and, is it "Shared or Dedicated"?

Thanks in anticipation

Norm

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

1. Works fine with mine - several desktops and a laptop, all running VISTA.

2. My laptop whilst fitted with an Intel integrated video card works fine. I can't answer the second part since it is at home and I am in the office.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

William Raymond
Posted
Posted
OK, I have now returned my new laptop to the store for a refund.

Start from scratch now

Questions (to VISTA owners)

1. Does VRC actually work with VISTA?

2. If it does, then which Video/graphics Card/accelerator do you use? and, is it "Shared or Dedicated"?

Thanks in anticipation

Norm

Norm,

I have been using VISTA for about a month and installed VRC. Vista Home premium came with a new system as my old one went to the grave. So Everything is a clean install

It works ok with a few issues

1) The target used to be "I" now looks like [. I believe in DSR mode

2) Constant screen flickering or jerking on both monitors

3) ATC message are disappears if I maximize the window, so I have to drag the corners with the mouse to get best possible fit

4) Unable to right click targets to get info etc. It works if I use the .seeall command

I am using a dedicated geforce 8800gts video card with the latest drivers. I have also tried changing stuff like hardware acceleration etc etc by using riva tuner and so far have not come up with a setting to resolve all the above. One of the settings did get the target back to "I" All opengl by the way

I also disabled aero in VISTA as thats a real hog on the system. Vista basic color scheme performs adequately for me

I have been reading this and other forums and not bothered to post as Ross has implied that he has not done much if anything with Vista and VRC.

Other than that I am ok with it

I also have a Q6600 CPU for what its worth and FSX flies real good now

Good luck

Bill

Bill

VATSIM Supervisor (ret'd)

Norman Guffick 935816
Posted
Posted

Thanks Bill

I have now procurred another machine with a good Nvidia dedicated card in it. It will arrive next week. I will keep you posted.

Norm