You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Strange problems after latest Norton Internet Security updat

Jan Naslund

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have Windows XP2 and I use FS2002, SB 2.3 with FSUIPC 2.92.

I also have Norton Internet Security installed and it does regular updates of it's programs. What happens is that it connects by itself to the Symantec web site and downloads the latest security settings.

I also get regular updates from Microsoft.

The last updates for both Norton and Microsoft was on Wednesday or Thursday. Ever since these updates, I have had serious problems with connecting to Vatsim.

Basically I have 2 problems.

Problem #1

I can only connect to certain servers. For example I can not connect to Europe-CE (I immediately get the Alert! You have been disconnected from the server-message) If i try Europe-E1 i can connect, but only if I try twice. The first time I get the “Alert! You have been disconnected from the server“-message but the second time, I can connect.

My Norton Internet Security has a lot of parts, Security, Personal firewall, Intrustion Detection, Anti Virus, Privay Control, Ad Blocking, Anti Spam and Parental Control.

This problem does not occur if i turn off my Norton Internet Security, the security-part. It seems that these parts are interlinked somehow but i tested my way forward and only when i turned off Security, could i connect to Europe-CE again.

Problem #2

If i can connect to a server, for example Europe-E1 then normally AVC automatically connects to rw.avsim.net/UNICOM. It seem to connect now too and i can see a message at the bottom of the AVC-window saying Connected! However, i can not see myself or anybody else in the Server/Room. Needless to say i can not communicate via AVC.

This problem does not occur if i turn off my Norton Internet Security, the security-part.

I have ports 3290 & 3782 included in the HTTP port filter list. This has not changed. I had this before too.

If I turn off the Norton Internet Security and connect everything is fine. I connect on any server and I can see and hear people in the Unicom voice room. If I turn Internet security back on after I have connected, I get thrown out from both SB and AVC immediately!!!

From SB I get the “Alert! You have been disconnected from the server“-message and from AVC I get a message saying “DISCONNECTED , You were unexpectedly terminated from the voice roomâ€

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I checked my XP firewall and it's turned off but i discovered that i have similar problems connecting with ASRC. It's a bit strange. The first time i try to connect, immediately i get a message saying that i am disconnected. When i try again, it works!!!

However, i can not connect with AVC.

Same as before, if i turn off internet security and connect, everything is fine. When i turn it back on, WHAAAM!!!! Kicked out from ASRC and AVC immediately!!!!

Help please!

Best Rgs / Jan

Clive Kent 845319
Posted
Posted

Hi

I had a similar problem to this and got round it by turning off the Norton firewall and switching on the XP firewall and found everything was OK. Just remember to carry out regular anti-virus checks. I got this info from the Forum a while ago.

Clive

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I use Symantec as Anti-virus (not firewall). I always "Unload service" when connect to Vatsim.

My info is:

Subject "5. Anti-virus."

Subject "6. Firewall and router. "

Link to subjects,Troubleshooting at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262

No anti-virus is recommended or considered to be needed for Vatsim.

The only PC-firewall recommended by Vatsim Forum is XP SP2 firewall and ZoneAlarm.

Om jag kanske kan hjälpa med något, ring gärna 08-466 93 35 till 23:00 eller 070-697 26 06 efter 23:00

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Thanks for all suggestions. It seems that it works when i use the XP Firewall. I had to set up loads of ports and allow program access right etc etc... At my first try i couldn't even join the MP session in FS2002.

Anyway, now i can use voice again. Now the only thing standing between me and endless hours of fun filled flight is my wife

Tack for din hjalp Lennart. Du gor ett jattebra jobb pa forumen.

Ha det bra, mvh / Janne