You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SB747 for PS13 simulator future on VatSim?

Pierre Theillere 861704

Pierre Theillere 861704
Posted
Posted

Hi all!

I had posted some questions some days ago, but the topic '"PcProxy no longer an approved application" has been closed without getting any answer to my questions. As we all know, VatSim is about to change the protocol for connexion to the network. The upcoming (and wonderful!) SquawkBox 3 is about to be released, and already supports the new protocol.

Currently, the "old" protocol is still supported, but I guess it will be removed in the short while, probably when SB3, FSInn and ASRC v1.2 are out.

But there aren't only controllers and guys flying in Microsoft Flight Simulator.. of course! There are guys flying in Fly!II, X-Plane and also Aerowinx Precision Simulator.

I am mostly flying the latter, and had been aware 2 months ago, the developer (Jeroen "Hoppie" Hoppenbrouwers) told SB747 wouldn't be supported in the future, unless he signed the NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement)... that seemed to him impossible as it appeared it was an obscure pureley legal docomeent, based on US laws, and too much restrictive and risky for any non-US citizen to accept "as-is. It's impossible for me to thing by myself what's the NDA, as it seems itslef is secret, once you read it, looks like you swear never to make it public... so I have to rely on other's thoughts regarding the NDA.

It seemed things were being sorted out in a positive way, Hoppie had said NDA was being discussed, end the possibility to go on supporting SB747 on VatSim was rather open.

Today, I read that Kees Leune (PcProxy developer, working together with Hoppie) had fully given PcProxy supprot for VatSim, being discouraged by the NDA and attitude of software guys on VatSim. SO PcProxy future in now on Hoppi'e's hands too, still with NDA issues I guess!

Hoppie had adapted SB747 some days ago, so that it ca,n support both VatSim and IVAO. IVAO adaptations havebeen made in only a few hours. VatSim's adaptations could be made in a few hours too, if the NDA problems was to be solved, or more constructive cooperation could be done between VatSim, and the developers... who are in the very important, as without software there wouldn't be any VatSim at all!

My question is simply: is there a positive future of SB747, and so that all PS13 users who used to enjoy VatSim, or will we have to drop online flight, or divert to less realistic but more "developer-friendly'" skies of IVAO?

Thanks for the reply, hope the topic won't be closed or censored.

Pierre, LFPG, STV1010

http://mapage.noos.fr/b744-PS13/cockpit.html

STEVENS pilot on PS1.3 / SB3 tester / LFRR_V_CTR ATC quite often