You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hello, Mr. Obvious?

Nate Johns

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

I just want to make sure that X-Plane actually models the operation of turboprop aircraft properly, unlike FS that basically treats it like a turbojet engine with different sounds (at least with FS9).

If X-Plane accurately models this kind of operation, given the apparent graphic improvements and other probable heavy improvements with 9.0, I think I will be 1.) defecting to Mac & 2.) defecting to X-Plane.

It seems like the community is growing, and while there doesn't seem to be PMDG quality aircraft quite yet (is there?), I suspect that it's coming before too long. But man if Airsimmer.com and PMDG's eventual releases aren't damned tantalizing. I just wish Vista didn't suck so much, or that it was required to make use of DX10 materials.

So much to think about... luckily I'm poor right now, so, I'm not gonna be buying computer-related things for at least a few months.

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Nate,

What specific questions do you have regarding turboprop operation in xplane?

Try grabbing the demo of 8.64 or 9.00b2 and playing around with the stock King Air and the PlaneMaker application.

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

Well, I would grab the demo if I felt like I had a powerful enough computer. Though I suppose I have enough of a computer to run a basic demo.

My biggest thing is the engine physics and operation, along with a realistic depiction of the engine and prop sounds.

Things like, low torque plus high RPM basically acts as a speed break. Sounds in the cockpit are based on prop RPM, and not torque reading. Proper beta range operation. Etc., etc.

If anyone has flown the Oleksiy Frolov Dash 8 in FS (http://www.majesticsoftware.com/c/portal_public/layout?p_l_id=1.1) they'll know what I'm talking about.

I have this thing for turboprops, but have nearly always had a problem with how they are simulated in FS. The Dash 8 mentioned above was the best simulated turboprop product I've ever experienced in terms of technical realism. Even the Aeroworx King Air or the Flight1 ATR, while great in many aspects, REALLY fall short on proper engine operation.

Plus... I'm just getting tired of M$ B$. Vista has royally miffed my wife and I, and OS X is so good looking. I know I can dual-boot, and probably will with XP and OSX, but I figure since X-Plane is Mac developed, I'm sure it will run killer on a nice Mac machine.

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Brian Ratledge 962606
Posted
Posted
My biggest thing is the engine physics and operation, along with a realistic depiction of the engine and prop sounds.

Things like, low torque plus high RPM basically acts as a speed break. Sounds in the cockpit are based on prop RPM, and not torque reading. Proper beta range operation. Etc., etc.

Nate..the company I work for has a Cheyenne. I have flown on it many times in the right seat. The closest thing i can find to RW on any sim is the Shadetree Micro Cheyenne for x-plane. The start procedure is very nice and the flight model is amazing. http://shadetreemicro.com/

ZLA Director of Pilot Relations

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Brandon Huey 998117
Posted
Posted

Jan Grundke's King Air B350 is really fantastic.

you'll find the torque functions just as you expect during descent, significant aeileron trim is required during takeoff to counteract turboprop pull, and a functioning high/lo rpm setting.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=51