RAM increasing Frames.

Im considering Upgrading to 4GB of RAM, Any ideas on by how much (or if) this will increase FPS?

If you're not RAM-limited, then little to none.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ram limited?

If you're running out of available physical memory, and swapping. On my 1GB box I never ran into that, even with VB6, Eclipse and FS9 open, but your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

My guess is that the FS software adapt to how mush RAM are available, i.e. if you have 2G it will load more data into RAM and then quicker change views etc.

The RAM will likely not increase the FPS in general, but may make it quicker to change viewpoints (to exlude lot of required harddisk accesses).

As well it is much matter what addon software are installed. Some take lot of RAM to create VC cockpit or big databases and RAM above 1G may make difference.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

My guess is that the FS software adapt to how mush RAM are available, i.e. if you have 2G it will load more data into RAM and then quicker change views etc.

The RAM will likely not increase the FPS in general, but may make it quicker to change viewpoints (to exlude lot of required harddisk accesses).

As well it is much matter what addon software are installed. Some take lot of RAM to create VC cockpit or big databases and RAM above 1G may make difference.

Thanks, think i'll still upgrade for performance in general, not just fsim

sig.jpg

Your abilities are increased with more RAM, however overall frames might diminish. This is because each 'part' of the RAM needs to be checked to handle the operation, which takes time.

Critics: This is what I was taught by a certified Microsoft IT Academy instructor. The things I have learned from him have gotten me to first in the state and sixth in the nation for Business Professionals of America.

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Your abilities are increased with more RAM, however overall frames might diminish. This is because each 'part' of the RAM needs to be checked to handle the operation, which takes time.

???

As much as I hate to admit it, Elliot's probably right. At best, maybe 2-3 FPS but that's stretching it. If you can find a copy, there's an older program out there still floating around called EnditAll -- and it was freeware for a while -- which will strategically kill unneeded processes hogging resources. I snagged a copy of this a long time ago when it was freeware and have kept it, and used it, since.

As laptops usually run a bunch of extra nonsensical garbage in the background, it might be an idea to explore killing unnecessary processes and experimenting with the results. BE CAREFUL doing this, as killing a system-required resource is likely to make your system unstable. Don't kill it unless you are absolutely sure of what that particular process does.