You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

BMI BABY (Flight Code)

Stephen Dougall 978069

Stephen Dougall 978069
Posted
Posted

Hi all a quick question i did a flight last night for BMI BABY with my flight code WW5961 i then was told be ATC that my code should be BMA5961 which is for Britsh Midland but i am sure BMI BABY flights oparate as WW or BMI ?

anyone know which is the correct for the BMI BABY code ?

Cheers

Steve

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

WW is the IATA for BMI Baby, but on VATSIM the ICAO is generally used (for BMI Baby this is BMI). Your callsign will be recognised much more easily if you use the ICAO code. As for the controller asking for you to switch to BMA, that was apparently his/her mistake as this is indeed the ICAO code for British Midland.

So basically, use BMIxxxxxxxxx as your callsign when flying BMI Baby and the controllers will know who you are

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Just to clarify the IATA/ICAO code thing for those unaware. The IATA code is what the real world public sees on the flight number and the ICAO code is what the pilots use in their flightplans and what ATC see. As an example the public would see BA123 for British Airways but the flightplan would be BAW123; same as with WW and BMI and many others.

Someone will now offer the complication that the flight numbers aren't necessarily the same either but don't worry about that one for now!

Bill Casey

Stephen Dougall 978069
Posted
Posted

Yes correct just looked into it a bit more.

WW = is the public Flight code for BMI BABY

BMI = is used on the BMI BABY Flight plans

Well that clears that up !

cheers for help fellow Vatsim pilots

Steve