You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

GPS approaches/use and X-Plane in Vatsim

Jefferson Leeper 1038620

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

I am just getting started with Vatsim, and use x-plane with PFC hardware+networked PCs for the external /cockpit views.

In real life, and am a Private Pilot, ready to take the Instrument check ride, and fly the G1000 in various aircraft. Of course there are no good representations of true functioning G1000s in Xplane, except a REAL one. Is everyone else using an FMS equipped aircraft to load the individual fixes of GPS approaches, stars, sids, DPs etc as FMS legs? I presume I can't enter multiple legs into the stock GPS of say the 172, so must I enter each fix as I approach it?

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Jefferson,

X-plane will drive a real G-1000. It will also drive software based Garmin GPS models, too, I believe. As you correctly surmised, the built-in representation of the 530 is a cry for help

You could also install an FMS into the aircraft you're flying and load all of the waypoints for the approach, however, the system won't recognize the concept of an approach/SID/STAR. It won't fly the holds or recognize the missed approach points (many of which will be missing in any case).

I use X-plane for my IFR training, but if I needed to simulate /G, I would hook up to an IFR-approved GPS as the first order of business. Luckily I fly /U....X-plane is awesome for that

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

Thanks Keith. That is exactly what I'll do. An expensive option, but needed to really recreate the environment correctly.

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

Flying in Vatsim. I had to revert to 1.0 of squawkbox to alleviate harsh static with every users's transmission. That solved that problem.

Now I am faced with the issue of every x-plane user in Vatsim I suppose.... There are no taxiways at KDEN, or anywhere else for that matter. I thought for sure I saw taxiway and runway markers for KBJC in the past, but do not see them now, regardless of rendering option settings. I read a bit about airport files etc. and see a VatsimtoXplane converter program, but is there a way to get specific airport files already finished that would give me vatsim compatible taxiways, taxiway markings, runway markings etc. that I could add to my folder and be off and running? It is a bit intimidating when ATC says Taxi B4 to Alpha, to Golf, hold short of RW 17R, when I cant see anything! Of course I can break out the AFD and try to follow along, but I should be able to look at the windscreen no?

Jefferson Leeper 1038620
Posted
Posted

I found a few Custom Scenery Packages for X-plane Version 8 HERE.

I installed KDEN to the custom scenery folder, and it did a decent job with a flight session in Vatsim.

• 3 weeks later...
Reece Hunter
Posted
Posted

Jefferson,

I have noticed in 8.XX that most major airports(KDEN should be one of them) have at least some level of taxiway/apron resemblance to the real thing. From time to time, when I update my navdata (you can get it at http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/ by the way) files, some airports which had the default taxiway configuration (parallel to runway and three adjoining perpendicular sections) are updated to reflect the real layout. So far though, I have only seen these in small airports.

Taxiway signs have always been scant in my experience unless you have custom sceneries. With the advent of World Editor though, you have the option to add them to your airports for additional realism. I usually breakout my charts and look there although I am starting to think that a plugin/application with pdf airport layout in the background and airplane position in the foreground may not be a bad alternative especially if you have a second monitor.

RH

reece_hunter at yahoo dot com

Reece Hunter

vACC Philippines Chief