You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sweatbox reconfigured for OBS training and S3 mentoring

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

In order to support the implementation plans for the global ratings policy, the sweatbox has been reconfigured to allow OBS-rated students to work with targets by [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning squawks, amending flight plans, etc. Also, S3-rated mentors can now connect targets with the ACSim or TWRTrainer programs.

Note that an OBS-rated student will appear to be an S1 when working in the sweatbox. This is just a side effect of these changes, and does not mean the student is actually an S1.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for the swift action on this. It will help the smooth introduction of the Policy.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

• 1 month later...
Samuel James
Posted
Posted
Also, S3-rated mentors can now connect targets with the ACSim or TWRTrainer programs.

I take it S1s can't then?

Thanks,

Sam

Samuel James

Lead Mentor - Luton & Stansted - Contact me

Forum-Signature-curved.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That's correct.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

They can drive them though in TWRTrainer under the direction of whoever is running the software. This of course would be subject to your local training policy.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Ray Lang
Posted
Posted

Ross can approved mentors of there divison can now use twrtrainer

and log in via twrtrainer to the sweatbox server and carry out training sessions

with students.

Ray Lang

Vatsim Senior Supervisor

Pacific Oceanic Partnership Admin

Have a question? Email [email protected]

spacer.png

• 10 months later...
Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Is it possible to create situations for myself? During the holidays, I'm not in training, and after the holidays, I'll have a number of "live" sessions and eventually get my recommendation. But, I want to train myself so I can get back in the game. Is it possible?

Seb

New York ARTCC

• 10 months later...
Brian Rock 1093114
Posted
Posted

Hey,

Are S2's able to operate TWRtrainer and ACSim because the TA of my ARTCC allowed me to become a mentor and i'm an S2. I teach my students everything they need to know but then I am unable to see how they actually do in a sweatbox session because I am unable to operate it. Then the students need to wait till another mentor can help them and that can take a while...anyway its just a h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]le. Any help?

-brian R.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

There isn't a policy that prevents you from becoming a mentor as an S2, however, the VATSIM Sweatbox server restricts every rating below S3 from using programs that control aircraft on the Sweatbox server. As a former ARTCC TA, I would say monitoring students on the real-time servers is the only viable option for your mentor designation at this time until your rating allows you to instruct students with a practical (Sweatbox) application. Consult with your TA to determine the best course of action. You'll be up to an S3 rating before you know it!

• 3 weeks later...
Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted
Is it possible to create situations for myself? During the holidays, I'm not in training, and after the holidays, I'll have a number of "live" sessions and eventually get my recommendation. But, I want to train myself so I can get back in the game. Is it possible?

Seb

Well, you just have to have the program, and run it. I have done it, but it is a lot harder than controlling or running the sweatbox, be it through ACSim or TWRTraininer, as you have to control and move things around on the sim.

Jody Turner - I1

Toronto FIR - Facility Engineer

8942.png

• 1 year later...
Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

bump

Any chance of allowing S-2s to connect and Use Twrtrainer?

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png