You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC dispaly on a laptop

Kyle Ramsey 810181

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

I have a Gateway laptop that I installed VRC on. When I start with a refresh reboot and start VRC first, everything seems to work fine. I can start other apps like FS or Servinfo no problem.

However, if I log out of VRC, or I don't start it first, when it starts I get the normal window frame, I see the menu at the top, and I see the text box at the bottom, but the middle of the screen is battleship gray and nothing displays at all. I tried reloading the sector file, no joy.

This is annoying as I'd like to help more doing SUP duty on the net but having to reboot my laptop everytime I have to log off for somthing is quite annoying and impeding my desire to help on the network.

I asked Ross, he had no idea, suggested I post here in case someone else has seen and solved this one.

Gateway Laptop MX6920

1.60 GHz

1 GB RAM

Windows XP of course.

Built in video card, can't find the specs

Kyle Ramsey

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Kyle,

Have a look in the device manager / control panel to see what the display adapter is. My guess is that it is an Intel Integrated one which doesn't handle things too well.

Bizarely enough another governor had a similar issue earlier.

I see you are using XP but will explain the VISTA solution also.

In XP you need to turn down hardware acceleration. This can be done under the graphics properties.

In VISTA since there is no way to turn down hardware acceleration you need to delete the graphics adapter and reboot. When Windows attempts to install the new driver you should decline. This worked for both of us.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Worked!!!!

Thanks so much, Norm.

Kyle Ramsey

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Interesting ... usually the symptoms are very different for the Intel graphics problem. Those cards are a pain ...

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 5 months later...
Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

I don't mean to bring up old topics.... but I was discussing this issue with Ross this weekend... came upon this post, and it worked on my laptop with that intel chipset.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, brought the screen down to 800X600, loaded VRC booted it back up to max and its working.

The only thing I see wrong is the VOR labels are letters and symbols, I dont use them so I'm not worried about it

Nick

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Nick,

Check your fonts folder. VISTA just loves pretending the font isn't there when it is.

Copy out the font.

Delete the original.

Reboot for good measure.

Install the font by right clicking it.

Run VRC - hopefully the VORs etc display correctly.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

yep that worked....

thanks NB

Nick