You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Jaggies?

Francisco Obregon 1004310

Posted
Posted

I just got a new laptop (specs below), So far I haven't had any technical errors and Vista runs pretty smooth, I installed VRC clean, no errors perfect, to find a pretty jagged out screen.

This is how it looked on my old graphics card ( ATI X1400 )

3.jpg

Compared to the new ( NVIDIA GeForce 8600M )

37262087gc7.jpg

* No it's not that bad in the colors, It's just paint that messed it up.

This happened to me some time ago , but I can't remember How I fixed it. I have played with the settings and all I have moved is the AA and the AF, I have them at 8x and have move them to 16x to see if that changed anything. But the NVIDIA control panel is pretty sucky, not that much options.

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Blah

4GB RAM DDR2

DX10

Vista 64bit

Any help appreciated!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's definitely Anti Aliasing that makes the difference. I've noticed that many Vista video drivers don't support OpenGL very well (which is what VRC uses to draw graphics) and it may be that your new driver just doesn't support AA in OpenGL.

Personally I much prefer no antialiasing in VRC because it makes the text look a bit blurry.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

hehe..my eyes crossed trying to focus on the first screen shot.

Posted
Posted

Ross, is there a maximum of AA VRC can take? For example I know Battlefield 1942 looks like [Mod - lovely stuff] with 16X, i have managed to fix other Windows Text with Cleartype and FS, but VRC remains.

Any other ideas?

BTW, I'm now on Windows XP, DX9

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Not that I know of ... it should be dependent on your video card. The VRC code makes no restrictions, anyway.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Posted
Posted

I guess the card is saying to me, Welcome to the nVidia 8 Series..

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

Jose the Nvidia 8 series works fine for me (8800GT). Just turn off the AA in the Nvidia control panel and and select to let the application decide what to use for AA. Then change the AA settings in your programs and it should work like a charm.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Posted
Posted
Jose the Nvidia 8 series works fine for me (8800GT). Just turn off the AA in the Nvidia control panel and and select to let the application decide what to use for AA. Then change the AA settings in your programs and it should work like a charm.

It still looks the same sadly still