You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Another YYZ problem

Wade Williams 877539

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

So I was flying into YYZ in an absolute blizzard, following the ILS plate for 6R. Only problem was, I never got a glideslope. After going missed, I turned around and tried 24R. No glideslope. After some offline experimentation, I found that neither 6/24 or 5/24 had a glideslope from either side. However, their plates say "ILS". X-plane also shows a "ILS" frequency on its map. The other ILS-equipped runways did have glideslopes.

Is this just an X-plane problem or is there truly not supposed to be a glideslope on those runways for some reason?

Chris Hardy 958349
Posted
Posted

Hi Wade

I am wondering if you have different scenery than what is current in the real world YYZ. From your description it looks like you are flying into the airport before the 3rd parallel runway was built. The base model in FS9 (not sure about X-plane) does not include the 3rd runway. Currently YYZ has 06L/24R 06R/24L and 05/23 for east/west operations. If you are looking at a plate for 06R you may in fact be lined up for 06L as you are looking at a diagram that is more current than your scenery. In your go around example if you only have 2 runways then 24R is now 23. (Very confusing... but look at a current Aerodrome diagram and compare it to your scenery in top down view).

If you are looking for good current YYZ scenery please visit us at http://www.czyz.ca and look under the pilots link. The 2007 scenery is the most realistic freeware and will fix all problems including updating the ILS frequencies and adding the new runway. All YYZ runways have a glideslope (for FS9 at least not sure about any other updates for different platforms, but I think they exisit).

Chris

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

The nav data for Canada is fairly inaccurate. Ian Elchitz was doing approaches at Castlegar and found that the localizer was entirely missing. I would suggest combing through the nav data and ensuring the nav aids are present. If they are not, add them, and then send the amendment to Robin Peel for addition into the next nav data release.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Wade,

I think there is a known issue within X-Plane's navigational data with Canadian airports. I haven't flown or attempted to fly into Pearson in X-Plane for quite some time so I'm not sure.

I ran into similiar problems during a tour of small fields on Vancouver Island. In some cases there was a localiser but no slope, and in many cases I had the full ILS but no functioning DME.

A fellow by the name of Robin Peel handles Navdata for X-Plane and has a process that allows us to update the navigational data when we find problems. The updated navdata is readily available and his site includes instructions on how to actually fix the issues. http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/

I also noticed a call for testing in this thread on flightsimx.co.uk

I guess that it's going to take a collaborative effort to get everything cleaned up for those of us who fly in Canada.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles