You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie having some problems

Greg Packett 917597

Greg Packett 917597
Posted
Posted

Hi all. I've been flight siming for many years and even multiplayer with firends but I'm new to VATSIM. I'm running FS9/2004 and have tried to connect with my firewall on and turned off. I downloaded the Pilot's complete VATSIM package, printed all of the .pdf directions for each piece of software and have followed them to the "T" several times, including several uninstalls and reinstalls. Everything appears to have installed just fine and things work up to a certain point. Here's the problems I'm having. I start SBRelay, enter an FS multisession, create a flight, click modules, HostSB and Run. I start Squawkbox, search and then join the server. That's when I get an error that says "icao.dat Critical Error: could not open file". I click "ok" and then click "Click here to get into the action". I right click and change my callsign to the same callsign I've used everywhere else. I then right click to file my flight plan and I get another error message that says "you are missing the file csl_icao.csv Aircraft will not be shown properly" I click "ok" anyway and the flight plan comes up anyway but I can't select a type aircraft. I fill it out as best as I can anyway and click ok. SBhost says "flight plan sent." I squawk standby and then click connect. I type in my Reg number and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word (I've tried both p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words - the number and the one I had to make for the required reading) I get another error - "Connect error: WSAECONNREFUSED The attempt to connect was forcefully rejected". Like I said above, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times following the directions very carefully each time. I even went as far to reinstall FS9/2004. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Diego Pedraglio
Posted
Posted

Be sure you have the csl folder with all the aircraft on it on your FS9/aircraft folder. Also, check to see if you have the CSL_ICAO file in the SB Folder. If you don't have it... try downloading SB again.

Diego Pedraglio

Bertrand Levaux 830193
Posted
Posted

Greg,

Keep believing in it .... You are close to "get into the action".

For the CSL_ICAO file... a response was already posted. nevertheless, it would just make you having some trouble for selecting your aircraft or to see other aircrafts properly.

But it does not avoid you to connect.

I had the same problem of WSAECONNREFUSED 1 week ago. I solved it by upgrading the server list wich comes with SB when you install it. The original list of server is not updated. You have to do it by yourself like explain in : VATSIM 103e – How to update your Squawkbox 2.x beta server list using Servinfo

And when you try again to reconnect, DO NOT try to use your PRC p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. Keep using the original Vatsim ID p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. So retype the right p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word next time you try.

And also do not forget to "register your fsuipc" like explain in "103f – FSUIPC ver 3.x Set-up for FS2000/2002/2004" if you haven't done it before.

I hope these infos will help...

See you in the sky...

P.S. Please consider english is not my native language ... Sorry for the mistakes though...

Greg Packett 917597
Posted
Posted

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Unfortunately, I've done all of those things. I read the other threads about problems similar to mine and double checked everything. The csl folder is in the aircraft folder. Both icao files are in the SB folder. Everything appears to be where it's supposed to be. I was sure to register just like the instructions showed. I updated my server files too. I guess my next step is to download new files and try again.

Matthew Carroll 884030
Posted
Posted

I think I am in the same position

I have tried it all several times, everything in this forum, on the instruction PDF's etc, and its not working for me either!

I have used VATSIM before but I had to stop for awile die to work and moving house.

I updated my PC and reloaded FS9 and installed the fresh new upgraded verions of SBRelay, SB Host and Squarkbox, Servinfo.

Since the last time I used the system it seems to have become very hard to get working!

I know it suppossed to be 'as real as it gets', but I have spent all weekend on this, surely it is getting harder than the real world now!

'Bring on the genius' who makes an all in one install program which includes 'everything' you need except FS9

How cool would that be eh?

So, like a few others here, its back to the start AGAIN for me! but another day its getting late!

As a closing thought, In my absense, I have been watching ServInfo from my desktop, and im not sure if its the time of day or just a flook, but is the 'pilots online' figures dropping in the last year?

Perhaps a few have given up trying to get onto the network!

Keep the faith, and thanks to all who have offered help here, it is appreciated very much.

Kind regards

Matt

Matthew Carroll 884030
Posted
Posted

I think I am in the same position

I have tried it all several times, everything in this forum, on the instruction PDF's etc, and its not working for me either!

I have used VATSIM before but I had to stop for awile die to work and moving house.

I updated my PC and reloaded FS9 and installed the fresh new upgraded verions of SBRelay, SB Host and Squarkbox, Servinfo.

Since the last time I used the system it seems to have become very hard to get working!

I know it suppossed to be 'as real as it gets', but I have spent all weekend on this, surely it is getting harder than the real world now!

'Bring on the genius' who makes an all in one install program which includes 'everything' you need except FS9

How cool would that be eh?

So, like a few others here, its back to the start AGAIN for me! but another day its getting late!

As a closing thought, In my absense, I have been watching ServInfo from my desktop, and im not sure if its the time of day or just a flook, but is the 'pilots online' figures dropping in the last year?

Perhaps a few have given up trying to get onto the network!

Keep the faith, and thanks to all who have offered help here, it is appreciated very much.

Kind regards

Matt

Matt Stagg 900323
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys,

I used to have this problem when I installed Squawkbox and I have just reformatted and havent installed it yet so I'll be probaly going to get the same problem as you guys. I notice one thing though to solve this problem is to keep on re installing Squawkboox intill it shows up in the All programs Section of the start menu. Copy that Squawkbox Icon onto your desktop and used that. Don't ask me why it works like that because I have no idea lol. If this doesn't solve your problem Squawkox 3 is nearly on its way!

Cheers,

Matt Stagg

Boeing 737NG Pilot

VOZ Virtual

9116.png

James Rhew 903826
Posted
Posted

Here is what fixed that problem for me,hopefully for you too.I went in to the main Squawkbox folder,created a new folder inside of that folder,named it CSL. Then i copied and pasted the CSL file into the new CSL folder,And that fixed it for me.