You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SNO - Sunday 9th March 2008: NZHN <--> NZWN

Mark Richards

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Sunday Night Ops for 9th March 2008 - Cricket Tour Week 2: NZHN -> NZWN

During March we'll be following the Black Caps and England around New Zealand as they play out the upcoming Test Cricket series. There are the two teams and their entourages, media people, the fans, and a ton of kit and equipment that needs to be moved from one match to the next. In the process we'll get to visit some of VATNZ's less-frequently-used regional airports and I will personally put my aircraft into a hill/barn/cow/unrecoverable-stall-on-finals on at least one occasion.

This Week: Hamilton to Wellington (225nm / sector)

The first test is history and the teams and their supporters need ferrying from Hamilton to Wellington in time for the second match. We're bringing in extra flights from the capital to help cope with the travelling armies (barmy and otherwise) that are following this series.

Because this leg of the tour is so short - less than an hour even for me in my ATR72 - we're encouraging people to also fly an inbound sector from Wellington to pick up their cargo.

This will keep things nice and hectic for the controllers with two streams of traffic heading in opposite directions. It is also an opportunity for those people who weren't happy with their landing performance in Hamilton last week to improve. Total time for both legs should be somewhere in the vicinity of 2 - 2.5 hours.

Air NZ fly the ATR72 and Dash 8 on this route, but feel free to bring whatever you feel you can land safely at Hamilton!

• Departure Time: Sunday 9th March 2008 1930 NZDT
  • Flight Time: 1 hour / sector
  • Flight Plan Route:
    NZWN/NZHN: HN H325 PM V241 WN
    NZHN/NZWN: WN H277 OR H136 HN

sno20080309-route_150x195.png

• Departure Airport: Wellington International Airport
    Likely departure r/w 16: PEGSA2 or DULEX2
    Likely departure r/w 34: TY3 (Titahi Bay 3)
  • Arrival Airport: Hamilton International Airport
    Note: if your FMC doesn't have H126, it is: OR DABKA HN.
    Likely arrival: BUDEN1 or vectors.
    Note: NZHN does not have an ILS approach - expect a VOR/DME, NDB/DME, or visual approach

• Departure Airport: Hamilton International Airport
    Likely departure r/w 18: BUDEN1
    Likely departure r/w 36: TAYLA2
  • Arrival Airport: Wellington International Airport
    Likely arrival r/w 16: PP1 (Paraparaumu 1) or LADIT 1B (RNAV)
    Likely arrival r/w 34: LADIT 1A (RNAV)

• Potential ATC Positions:
    NZWN_TWR - Wellington Tower
    NZHN_TWR - Hamilton Tower (provides approach control as well as tower)
    NZCH-W_CTR/NZOH_CTR/NZCH-A_CTR - Enroute Control
    NZWN_APP - Wellington Approach
    NZWN_GND - Wellington Ground

Note: It is unlikely that we will need all the centres and they may well end up being combined.
    To reserve a particular ATC position, please post a message to that effect (including the times you expect to be online) in this thread. If possible, also book your position using vroute.

• Late-comers/Shorter Alternative: Late-comers or people looking for a shorter flight should consider flying only one of the legs. The goal is to concentrate as much traffic as possible into the central and lower North Island.

• Charts/Airspace Info: Available by clicking on the airport links above, or from the VATNZ Airspace Reference site.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me, or reply to this thread.

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand