You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Navigation in VATSIM

Jonathan Watkins 928400

Jonathan Watkins 928400
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of VATSIM and during my short time online have encountered many problems with flight plans. Controllers have often asked me to alter my plan while airbourne which completely confused me as all I've ever used are FS2002 plans uploaded to the GPS. Now, I have realised that this isn't such a big deal as using an FMC equipped A/c enables me to re plan in flight relatively easily. HOWEVER, on recently filing a plan constructed using FS2002 flight planner I was informed by ATC that it was no good and that FSNAV is a better way of route planning. OK, so planned a route from Cardiff to Larnaca but couldn't upload it to FS2002 to import into the FMC, why? Is it possible some plans are too large?

The controller then PM'd me a plan to manually input, a very drawn out process I must say, wouldn't mind doing it but couldn't find a way of saving it for future use! Has anyone else ever found this or am I just being blind!? Also, how did the controller calculate a route so fast and what program did he use?

I would greatly appreciate input on this matter that anyone can provide as I think VATSIM's ace and would hate to have to give it up because I ca't get round these silly problems.

Thanks, Jon.

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted

Hi Jon,

Sorry you have experienced problems with your flight plans.

I am not sure what the official VATSIM policy on flight plans is but I would expect controllers to allow some leaway to new pilots, if they know they are new. To that end I suggest you indicate you are new to VATSIM in the flight plan remarks box.

One of the problems with the flight planner in FS2002 & 2004 is that its database is old and cannot easily be updated. VATSIM tends to use current navaids and airways which could be different to those shown in the FS planner, especially in Europe; this is why you were advised to get FSNav. FSNav can easily be updated with the current airways and navaids, the map is larger so you can see it more easily and it shows one-way airways, it also has many other benefits.

You can export a flight plan made in FSNav to the defualt flight planner in Fs2002 & 2004 but because of the newer navaids some navaids will not be in the default planner and I'm not sure how it handles that not how it affects the built-in GPS - I mainly fly add-on aircraft whith their own FMC.

The controller may already have the flight plan to Larnaca so it was easy for him to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] that on, only a guess.

There is also a good flight planner on the Web http://rfinder.asalink.net/ which will give a FP in the format SB expects as well as a list of waypoints.

If you can afford FSNav I suggest you have a look at it and try it, you have 20 'free' uses before you have to buy it so you can try it and see how it integrates with the default planner and the aircraft you fly. Just be aware that each time you start FSNav that is one 'free' use gone, so set aside a couple of hours to get used to the program and try it out.

HTH

Jonathan Watkins 928400
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your swift reply. I figured the best way to fly the longer routes was with an FMC equipped A/C. I've got FSNAV but didn't realise that each time you started it, it counted as one free use, probably why it wouldn't export, need to purchase it now!

Any idea if you can modify A/C to use the FMC? I've got a fair few add-on A/C but unfortunately only 1 uses FMC (and I think that's out of date, SID and STAR wise!)

Tahnks again for your help

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted

Hi Jon,

Not sure what you mean by a FMC equiped aircraft so I will have to make some [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umptions, similarly with FSNav, if you already know what it is included here just ignore it

FSNav can act as an aircraft auto-pilot for any aircraft that uses the default FS auto-pilot, this normally means any 3rd party aircraft that does not have its own FMC or similar flight computer so most if not all freeware 3rd party aircraft should be OK.

So you can plan your flight in FSNav and create the route and save that route for later use. You can include SIDs & STARs by downloading them from within FSNav or create your own from freely available charts for your two airports in a route.

You can have FSNav create a route automatically or enter one manually if you use something like Routefinder to generate the route.

Once you have the route select the correct aircraft in FSnav to match that which you will pilot.

When positioned on the runway click 'Fly the plan' in FSNav, take off and then switch on the aircraft auto-pilot, FSNav will now fly the route and climb you to cruise, in map view it will even show you the ToC point.

When it's time to descend FSNav will again show the ToD point and desend you to the runway. FSNav will NOT land the aircraft, you need to disconnect FSNav from auto-pilot before 50ft AGL and land manually, best way to disconnect is do it above 50ft and just switch the A/P off, wait a second, then switch it back on if you want the aircraft to autoland with its own autoland.

So there is no real need to export to the FS planner unless you want to use the built-in GPS gauge.

Now how I do it if flying on VATSIM on the very rare occasion I use a default aircraft.

Set up FSNav to only control tuning of radios and lateral navigation (flying the route), I control speed and altitude from the flightdeck, that way I can quickly respond to speed and altitude instructions from ATC.

HTH

Jonathan Watkins 928400
Posted
Posted

Well thanks again Dave, now I see the light, all has become clear! Just didn't realise FSNAV did so much. I'm off to register my copy now so I can fly my add-on A/C and not be scared of controllers changing my route mid flight!

Thanks again, you're a diamond, Jon