You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Common Courtesy or going the extra Mile?

Ingo Harders

Ingo Harders
Posted
Posted

The other day I noticed a Controller shutting down right after I landed. Hmm, I thought, that was lucky timing. This happened another three times with different Controllers in different regions in the Western US A in the last little while and after the 2nd time it happened I caught on. This was no lucky timing, the Controller waited UNTIL I was done. Wow! This realization simply blew me away.Talk about courtesy! I never expected that.

Of course I am not the only that happens to, but one seems to notice only when one is directly involved. In my book this is definitely listed under the “going the extra mileâ€

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I second that ... it's always appreciated when a controller sticks around for those extra minutes until my flight is concluded. I know it's not always possible, but when it happens, it is noticed and appreciated.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Davor Kusec 990407
Posted
Posted

As a pilot, I always appreciate the extra service that the control is willing to give. It gives the flight more of a sense of realism.

As a approach and below controller, I always try to wait until everyone has either left my airspace or has logged out before I do even if it means staying a little longer. Unfortunately sometimes my real world obligations call for me to log off while having someone under my control and I always hate to do that.

Controllers like the traffic. Pilots like ATC.

Davor Kusec

Air Traffic Director | Northeast Region VATUSA

Supervisor | VATSIM

990407.jpg

Scott Johnston 890281
Posted
Posted

I honestly don't like to get off if someone is on an approach into one of "my" airports. It makes me feel sleazy to ditch someone like that.

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

It sort of works both ways...I mean, usually when I see 405 or 406HT flying through, I start making arrangements to get off.

(Disclaimer: I am kidding - Ingo and I are buddies and he knows I love him just as I do all the other pilots who fly through ZSE!)

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Dave Stankiewicz 986738
Posted
Posted

When working APP or below, i will always stay on if someone is inbound. It's a little harder at the CTR level, but i will still make contact with every single aircraft in my airspace and cancel radar services. Instead of just saying "JAX CTR is now closed"...i will call each aircraft individually and tell them that i'm signing off and radar services are terminated.

It's just a little extension of courtesy.

Simulated United States Air Force

sBGen Dave Stankiewicz

Commander

Air Combat Command

~Real World Pilot (PPL ASEL)

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I've done that while working tower (I don't tend to work approach much, just prefer the cab) plenty of times. Of course, you can end up with a steady stream of single airplanes coming in sometimes, and you just have to finally log off. I hate to do it though.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

This is SOP with most controllers that I know. It's a good thing, and I know pilots appreciate it.

Terry Stilling
Posted
Posted

I agree completly, the contollers show great respect when they stay on until we are finished..KUDOS

Terry

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

We stayed on two extra hours after the Africa Supreme Event ended tonight to bring in the rest of the pilots who came out to fly but were running late into FZAA Some arrivals were in the air for 8 plus hours

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted
We stayed on two extra hours after the Africa Supreme Event ended tonight to bring in the rest of the pilots who came out to fly but were running late into FZAA Some arrivals were in the air for 8 plus hours

That's dedication right there

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Jim Rosado 896019
Posted
Posted

There are many times where I have to logoff from Center unexpectedly, due to RW commitments . . . however, I try to take the time to individually brief every inbound, on text, with his inbound routing to include headings and crossing altitudes to get him or her all the way to the point where they will join the ILS approach about 12 miles from the outer marker.

But, yeah, when I can, I stick around until there is no more traffic.

Jimbo

ZHU Center controller

"I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!"

Andrew Rogers 913862
Posted
Posted

When I am controlling my general rule is once I mess with your route/flight I am on untill you land

Andrew Rogers

Senior Controller -HCF

Jim Rosado 896019
Posted
Posted

Must be nice!!!!!

"I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!"

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

405HT! Keep flying through ZDV. You're the only one that knows what you're doing lately .

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I will have to say that my eyes light up every time I see 405HT on the scope. Always a pleasure to control Ingo.

Mike Phyrio 988306
Posted
Posted

I'm not really sure how it works with controllers but I think that there is some regulation, somewhere that says that people with the lower ranks cannot work tower or ground by themselves for longer than 1/2 hour without incurring the wrath of Baal. Some weirdness about an exam and a stool sample that must be approved by the VFAA or something. This would account for someone logging off in the middle of a landing or app. On the other hand, I have had, or at least I convince myself that I have had, mucho controllers stick around (when I'm the only plane in their space), till I'm safely on the ground and my mommy has brought hot soup out to the cockpit. To you controllers who go those extra minutes, I salute you with my soup spoon.

Yvan Ung 987353
Posted
Posted

When I have traffic, I end my session with that flight, provided no one else flies into my facility.

Regards,

Yvan Ung

Come pilot the longest and sharpest flying pencils of the online world!

China Eastern Virtual