You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Adjusting Rudders

John White 828331

John White 828331
Posted
Posted

I'm sure there is a facility somewhere in the aircraft cfg files to adjust the rubber effectiveness. I have a CH yoke/pedals and rudders work fine on most a/c however on some older planes its almost impossible to turn the a/c 180 degrees on the ground without a huge turning circle. Any clues?

3586.png

Lance Hutchinson 960395
Posted
Posted

What you are actually after is the nosewheel steering, as the rudder can't control the airplane when it is at taxi speeds. Some nosewheels can turn more than others, so this might not be a problem with your yoke/joystick. The simplest way to decrease turn radius is to use differential braking - i.e. brake only the right wheel to make your plane turn sharper to the right. I think F11 is the left and F12 the right wheel brake by default in FS9.

Lance Hutchinson

ZOA_LH_C3

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

For FS2004 and at least for original aircrafts.

Open and edit, example Cessna file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\c172\aircraft.cfg"

Rudder has parameters such as:

rudder_effectiveness = 1.0

rudder_limit = 24.0 //Degrees

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

David Naughton 938770
Posted
Posted
I'm sure there is a facility somewhere in the aircraft cfg files to adjust the rubber effectiveness. I have a CH yoke/pedals and rudders work fine on most a/c however on some older planes its almost impossible to turn the a/c 180 degrees on the ground without a huge turning circle. Any clues?

It might just be the aircrafts characteristics. Im not saying it is... but it might be. You said its an older aircraft and they might need a larger turning radius (area) than a newer era aircraft.

the only reason I suggest this is because I was having a problem wih an aircraft and thought about doing something similiar as to what youre thinking about. I did some reading on the aircraft and its handling characteristics and found out what was happening was pretty much a normal response. I left it alone and fixed the pilot,and not the aircraft

Respectfully,

Dave Naughton

vatsinID.jpg

John White 828331
Posted
Posted

Thank you gentlemen. The a/c in question is an Se5a, a WW1 fighter

3586.png