You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

AVC Playback problem!

Jan Naslund

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am experiencing a mysterious problem with AVC.

The sound that others hear sounds like a lion growling or something similar. It sounds like the voice is played back in a slower speed than it was recorded.

Sometimes when i use the Sound recorder in Windows XP mysterious things happen. I record my voice by talking into the microphone and i click the rec-button (Red dot) and the timer clock which counts the seconds, minutes of the recording is rushing away at 2-3 times the normal speed. Most of the time when i use the Sound recorder , the timer clock is going at a normal speed.

This does not happen all the time. Sometimes when i use AVC. It works fine. I never know when it will start happening. Right now it is happening again but it has been ok for about 2 weeks.

Right now i am able to use the Voice Recorder which comes with my XP-version and record sound and when i play it back, it sounds good and the clock is going at normal speed..

When i do the test on AVC, it comes (as always) up with a note saying that my room is as noisy as my voice bla bla bla and when i play the voice back it sounds like growling (Low sound)

I have tried 2 different microphones. One stand alone mic and one built-in to a headset. Same problem. I have checked the connection in to the sound card but it looks and "feels" ok. By feels i mean it's not loose in the jack or anything.

I have SoundMAX and i have tried changing the settings in AVC to Wawe - SoundMAX Digital Audio and to Directsound SoundMAX Digital Audio (The only 2 options i have)

I have changed the setting around to cover all variants but still the same problem.

Perhaps someone has experienced something similar before and can help me?

Thank you / Jan Naslund

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Do you have all bios and other clock-setting as fixed and not as "overdrive" (i.e. not temp-controlled dynamic frequency).

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

i'd try updating the media player stuff... it sometimes solves quite misterious problems.. (like the PMDG 737 not working wihtout it in some configurations)

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I checked the BIOS settings and it looks like i can't change the speed. Fixed 3 Ghz speed.

I tried to get a driver update from Dell as this is a built-in soundboard on the motherboard but they don't seem to have an update for SoundMAX as far as i can see.

I have E-mailed the Dell tech support about it. Lets see what they say.

Guess i'm back to text com (again )

Best Regards / Jan

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I can't say specific for SoundMAX.

In general, if I look driver update I don't look the board supplier such as "Dell", "Shapphire", but I take a look the chip on the physical board to find the main processor chip such as "ATI", "Creative". I'm positiv about this.

If SoundMAX is the sound-chip on board, search SoundMAX.

In addition, if your driver is a new original from CD than it's a good chance it's with bug. Normally it takes one update to correct a new driver.

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Jan, what i meant was updating the windows media player

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Ciao, Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Sorry, my response might have come out wrong. I did not mean to sound sarcastic.

I checked for Windows updates now and there were a few small updates. I installed everything and tried again. No change.

I opened Windows Media Player and checked for updates but apparently i have the latest version 10 and there were no updates available.

Best Regards / Jan

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi again,

Sorry Lennart, forgot to reply to you. I went to SoundMax homepage www.soundmax.com and they referred me to Dell. According to them because the sound board is integrated with the mother board and therefore the drivers are supplied by Dell.

Best Rgs / Jan

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

This is not really a clever help or I don't know if driver is the actual issue, but if you still wait for SoundMax driver update from Dell with no responce, why not just disable the SoundMax in the bios, and get a new sound-board installed instead.

Some problem with incompatible driver will never be solved. And some thing look like incompatibe.

Dave Weese 817228
Posted
Posted

I have a Dell as well with a soundMax onboard, nothing you can do about these problems, the sound card sees to much noise from the CPU Fans and USB ports and other devices on the board. There should have been a filter or somthing worked in to the motherboard to fix these problems but there is not.

All you can do is go and get a cheap PCI sound card, that will fix you right up. I saw Sound Blaster PCI cards at Staples last week for about $20(Canadian)

I have a friend with a brand new P4 3.2HT clone with a soundmax onbaord an Asus motherboard. Everytime he moves his mouse you can hear what sounds like a mouse wheel going across a dirt road out of his computer speakers.

Dave Weese (CXA007)

Fleet Manager

Canadian Xpress Virtual Airline®

http://www.CanadianXpress.ca

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

Try changing the AVC audio settings from DirectSound to Wave or from Wave to DirectSound depending on which one you have selected now. That solved the problem for me

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

• 3 months later...
Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I went out and beought a cheap SWEEX Soundcard and it works now. The only problem i have now is that if i have the FS focused with Sound On, the voice on AVC is so choppy that i can hardly hear anything. I have turned off the FS Sound and now it is better and i can hear what ATC is telling me.

Some day i hope that i can have everything working perfectly but that might be long off yet

Best Rgs / Jan