You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Runway markings

Carl Villalanti 1024086

Carl Villalanti 1024086
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that the runway markings in xp8 and xp9 are incorrectly measured. The aiming point markers are supposed to be 1000 ft from the threshold and appear to be quite a bit short than that in xplane. i have tested this by lining up a 747 (which is approximately 250ft long) and seeing how many lengths it is. I have also measured it with respect to taxiways and it seems to be about only 700 feet form the threshold. Do you guys also get this? If you can post a screen or offer any advice, thanks.

Here is a picture of what i am talking about: 1.JPG[/img]

Geoffrey Legg 922039
Posted
Posted

Ah another person has noticed this fun issue with XP This is directly the result of X-Plane continuing to use scaled runway textures instead of dynamically placing runway markings of correct proportion over a base runway texture. It is a little odd to have "precision" runway markings off by a hundred feet or more... The best airports to see this at are little ones like 3O8 Harris Ranch, where the stripes and numbers get squeezed down to fit a 30 ft wide runway. Not exactly visible from a distance. People are starting to catch this a bit more often so it will likely be fixed in the near future. Please be sure to e-mail the X-Plane dev team.

Carl Villalanti 1024086
Posted
Posted

That is definably the problem. i checked out Harris Ranch then went to NASA shuttle landing facility with 300ft long runway, and the aiming point markers there are way over 1000 ft. Looks like 200 ft wide runway makes the marking proper length. Thanks for the reply. Also i emailed x-plane, so hopefully they will fix this. Scaling problems drive me nuts, they are so common everywhere.