You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

We need someone who's good at making Sweatbox files

David Spektor 948991

David Spektor 948991
Posted
Posted

Hey,

This is David Spektor, the Training Administrator in the Anchorage ARTCC. I am in the process of creating a training program for ZAN, but we are lacking someone with the knowledge of how to create working sweatbox (ACSIM and TWRTrainer) files. If anyone would like to volunteer to help us out. Please either reply to this thread, or send me an e-mail at [email protected] . Thanks in advance!

-David Spektor

ZAN Training Administrator

Michael Hodge Jr 961044
Posted
Posted

check your email

Michael D. Hodge Jr

Dustin Robbins 887494
Posted
Posted

It's really not that hard. I'd urge anyone interested in creating these files to do it old school, trial and error style. Like I said, it's really not that difficult. Someone with the initiative to learn something like that on their own is of great value to the network.

Darryl Roach 988606
Posted
Posted
It's really not that hard. I'd urge anyone interested in creating these files to do it old school, trial and error style. Like I said, it's really not that difficult. Someone with the initiative to learn something like that on their own is of great value to the network.

Ditto. If you already have a sector file, then making sims for it is easy. I made three or four of them for ZHU not too long ago. If there's none for your field, open one for another ARTCC with Notepad and see how they are compiled. It's self-explanatory. If you're just trying to update one it's even easier.

Darryl Roach

0[/url]

Kevin Henderson 976708
Posted
Posted

When I was the lone staff at Anchorage I was working on the files and I wasn't able to get the aircraft to land in TwrTrainer. They would get about 5 feet above the airport elevation and do a little round traffic pattern right at the threshold and never land. I made a post about it in the Sweatbox forum but no one had anything that would help. They are fairly simple to make. The function to copy the coordinates out of VRC also makes it extremely simple to do.

Kevin Henderson

Anchorage Air Traffic Manager

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Are you using the command to put them on final?

add i l j 17R 5

add i l j 17R 10

add i l j 17R 15

Putting them on a "final" manually with coordinates won't do you any good.

Although the whole process of making Sweatbox files appears to be easy, it tends to be quite time consuming. It appears David has already received a reply from someone willing to make files for Anchorage.

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

I think I still have some old ones from my days up north, I'll dig around and let you know.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Kevin Henderson 976708
Posted
Posted

Nick, thanks any thing you might have would be helpful.

Harold, that is exactly how the aircraft are added. I couldn't ever figure it out. Once I thought I would beat the system and and just raise the airport elevation so that maybe the planes would land and that didn't do any good either. Maybe it will be worked out as some new files are worked on.

Kevin Henderson

Anchorage Air Traffic Manager