You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Need help over here

Romano Lara

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Good Morning guys,

As I boot my PC this morning everything goes normal but not in the part where you already see the desktop, I only see the desktop but the problem is I can't see the icons and the taskbar. Before this happen there is a message appearing and saying "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and then you select Send report or Don't send so I chose Don't send of course. And after that, my PC stayed in the desktop and I'm staring on nothing. I have no idea what is going with my PC, so if there's any help I can get from you guys please let me know.

I believe this has nothing to do with my PC specs, but the thing that bothers me is the USB that I inserted last night and my Anti-virus detects that my removable disk contains a virus, so I just move that thing into the quarantine. I'll try to post some pictures of that thing later.

Thanks in advance!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Joseph Jaster 932528
Posted
Posted

*Crawls out from the corner to post for once...*

Hi Romano

Explorer is the program that allows you to see the desktop (and folders when you open them) so if it crashes, you wont be able to do anything... only slightly less terrifying than the Blue Screen of Death..

When this happens, hit 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' to bring up the Task Manager. In the Task Manager go to 'File > New Task (Run...)' and type in 'Explorer' then hit Ok. This should restart Explorer, but if it crashes again it could be that Windows is corrupted, or maybe the virus that was found on the USB drive infected the system before it could be quarantined...

To prevent this from happening again, you might want to try using System Restore. If you cant get Explorer running from what I suggested above, try Safe Mode. Using Safe Mode do a system restore to the most recent date before this started happening. Failing that, I'm stumped, if you bought the computer pre-built from a manufacturer like HP you should have a system recovery disc. As a last resort you can use that disc to wipe the hard drive and start over, but try the partial recovery first as it wont ave to erase the hard drive and may fix explorer.

The full recovery option on the recovery disc should only be used if anything I suggested, and anyone else's ideas fail to work as you will lose everything on the computer; an extreme measure, but it will work. Sometimes the only option is to completely start over with a fresh Windows installation unfortunatly...

Any additional info you can get world be helpful too, it could help narrow down the exact cause of explorer crashing.

4422.png

I1 - CZVR

Help controllers maintain their sanity; file a correct equipment code http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Ok, i'll just try system restore at this moment and see if will work.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

paul westcott
Posted
Posted

good morning guys

When this happens, hit 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' to bring up the Task Manager. In the Task Manager go to 'File > New Task (Run...)' and type in 'Explorer' then hit Ok. This should restart Explorer

if i do this, it opens up "my docomeents" folder

does this mean my xp isnt installed correctly?

newironmic.jpg

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted
good morning guys

When this happens, hit 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' to bring up the Task Manager. In the Task Manager go to 'File > New Task (Run...)' and type in 'Explorer' then hit Ok. This should restart Explorer

if i do this, it opens up "my docomeents" folder

does this mean my xp isnt installed correctly?

No, that means explorer is already running, and if you start explorer again, it'll open the standard file explorer.

You can try to kill 'EXPLORER.exe' from the task manager and then re-start it like described, and you'll see the difference.

paul westcott
Posted
Posted

ah ok, many thanks ivan

cheers

paul

newironmic.jpg