You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Video setting advice for X

Jeff Behl 1058941

Jeff Behl 1058941
Posted
Posted

Just bought a Radeon 4850HD card and apparently I don't know what I'm doing. I built my machine with a core2 duo 3.0g cpu, 2g memory, blah, blah, blah. Wondering why virtual cockpit is still choppy. Do I go with the default settings FSX gives me under display options (one of which is a target frame rate of 20) or do I tweak the scenery or weather settings or what? All the sliders moved up with the addition of the new card so I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming thats what the card can handle, but I would take smoothness over fancy scenery any day. I notice bad weather is a killer on the frame rate too. What settings can I turn down for smoothness? And what filtering do I choose if any? Are there settings for the card itself I don't know about? Signed clueless, lol

• 2 weeks later...
Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

First, I suggest checking in the control panel to see if there is a CP for the video card. There might be 3d settings there to mess around with, I know I have that with nVidia, and it makes a HUGE difference.

I suggest toning the scenery down to medium high, and try that. Also, even better, just slap everything to low, and slowly work your way up and find what level your FS performs best at.

Good luck