You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Very Best Video Card is.....

Daniel Vail 1036914

Daniel Vail 1036914
Posted
Posted

Yes, this is a age old question but I just recieved my 2GB of RAM and it didnt help my low FPS. The issue is, I get horrible fps while on the ground at airports, and in select locations. When at crusing altitude, I can get 40 fps or more but say im at PHL...I get 11 fps easy. So my budget is 300$......350$ maybe. ( I dont want a new PC, I like mine )

My computer specs are....2 GB Of RAM

ATI 200 Video Card

Intel® Pentium® D Processor 805 (dual-core)1

(2.66GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2 x 1MB L2 cache)

And I messed w/ my virtual RAM which screwed up my computer :/

Anyway thanks -Daniel

I have been doing my Hw, But I want to see what other people have and what your fps are etc etc

76868869_i0Z6gNF3__IGP2663.jpg

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

well, first thing you need to look at is how many Watts is your power supply? Than are you PCI Express 16X? By your setup, my guess would be yes. As you know for FS9, FS is much more CPU hungry than GPU. I have an XFX 8600GT 512MB GC. Its just a mid range card but it works for me. To get good FPS with my card I have to lower my resolution to 1024X768X32. And I have a 19 inch moniter. Thats what stinks about it. Its really bad when I have detailed clouds. Im still looking for a fix. My CPU is AMDX2 6400+ 3.2ghz black edition. Normally when unlocked my frames are always jumping 30-90. Cloud9 I can get 50FPS or so unlocked, but with clouds comes another story. My FPS are locked at 34. Stuttering is bad too. Also it the pictures seems to tear sometimes. I would look into newegg.com. They are usually the cheapest. Also how big is your case? That is another thing you need to look at. If its small you wont be able to stick an 8800GTS in there, as it is long and takes up 2 PCI slots. I would say a 7950GT

$250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143071

VATSIM Supervisor

Daniel Vail 1036914
Posted
Posted

Ok....I'm not what you call a computer 'techie' so I would be helpless with out Vatsim . People say If you do upgrade your video card, best bet is to upgrade your power supply and cooling supply.....what does all that mean?

76868869_i0Z6gNF3__IGP2663.jpg

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Power supply is the thing you connect to the outlet, inside the case its a big ole box. You can upgrade them, normally its around 300 watts stock. To handle most upgrade video cards you should have around 600 watts to be safe. Better graphics=more juice. Cooling system is your fans that help cool down your components. Buy more fans, etc. I have about 3 running right now.

• 7 months later...
James Duncan 1001989
Posted
Posted

Radeon X1950 Pro, 512MB.

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Considering FS uses your CPU more than a video card to render things, and you've already apparently wasted money buying RAM you didn't need, I'd stop right where you are and figure out what your real bottleneck is before blowing even more money trying to find a problem that may not exist.

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

I had a Pen D Dual Core @ 2.8 and it bottlenecked my 8800 so I built a new system and got the E7400, I still have yet to overclock

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB