You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

CD drive probem and getting FS2004 disk 4 to work

Julian Diamandis 926992

Julian Diamandis 926992
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Just recently I have been getting this message on the boot screen on my Dell XPS

Drive 4 not found: Parnell ATA PATA (IDEA) Master

Drive 5 not found: Parnell ATA PATA (IDEA) Slave

And I think this is regarding the 2 CD drives on my PC (the lower a DVD burner drive) . Which are not mounting disk of any kind, including FS2004 disk4!

I wondered if there was any way you I can get a genuine copy of FS2004 to work without disk 4.

Also would anybody know how to fix the drive problem? I would rather hear some advice before I go and poke around with the system.

Many thanks

Videocard: GTX480

Processor: i7 core

Mainboard:

Memory:

Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium

PSU: CAIR 750W CMPSU-750TXUK

http://www.youtube.com/user/joolsd

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Julian,

Sounds like a drive failure. Have you moved your PC lately and perhaps knocked it.

It is possible that one of the drives ribbon cable has become dislodged.

If you are confident enough - you can open the case and just check the ribbon cables at the rear of the drives

and the end that goes onto the motherboard. Just ensure they are fully pressed home.

If yes - and you have access to a voltmeter you can check the power supply to the drives.

If memory serves correctly the Yellow to Black should measure 12volts and red to black 5 volts.

If this is OK disconnected the ribbon at the rear of one of the drives and switch on the PC.

If the PC boots and only 1 drive not found is reported then the drive you disconnected is faulty

and needs replaced. If however both drives are still reported missing then re-connect the one you disconnected

and try again with the other one disconnected.

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT DISCONNECT ANYTHING WHILE THE PC IS SWITCHED ON - DAMAGE WILL RESULT.

If it is possible to run fs without disc 4 (i've never heard of it) no one would be allowed to publish it in the forum

as it is an infringment of the MS EULA and not allowed under vatsim rules.

You would have to fix your PC anyway.

Hope this helps

Best regards Graham

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

theres a site I like to use alot. I actually use it as my opening page in firefox.

the site is

www.google.com

there's a little blank box below the writing google.com

so you want to use FS9 with nocd ?

Start a-typin'

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Julian Diamandis 926992
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Trent, The patch worked fine,

Graham, I think I will get somebody who knows what they are doing to have a look inside, I'm not too confident at these task. Thanks for the reply.

Videocard: GTX480

Processor: i7 core

Mainboard:

Memory:

Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium

PSU: CAIR 750W CMPSU-750TXUK

http://www.youtube.com/user/joolsd

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

yes there is a way to use FS9 without a CD. just PM me.

Tom Bergman

Hemisphere Virtual Airlines

www.hphvirtual.com