You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Upgraded CPU

Phillip Powell 1062160

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I've got an Intel D845GBV motherboard with the latest P17 BIOS. I was running an Intel P4 1.7GHz cpu. The BIOS reported this as 1.6GHz, which didn't bother me much. In the unending search for "More Speed" I've put in a P4 2.8GHZ 533FSB 512L2 replacement as shown in the Intel list of acceptable chips.

I'm more than a little disappointed that the PC is actually slower. The BIOS reports P4 1.6GHz. Various Intel utilities report that the CPU is capable of producing 2.8 but is running at 1.6. The CPU is not overheating, so shouldn't be throttling down. Nor is there any power saving which could be forcing it to run slow.

I've had a look around Intel and Google but so far can't resolve it. Before I look for another motherboard has anyone come across this before or have any ideas where I should look.

Thanks

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479

Joseph Jaster 932528
Posted
Posted

Hi Phillip;

You seem to have a really odd problem, if the processor isn't overheating or being underclocked (slowed down to save power when speed isn't needed) then it should operate at full speed. Just to be certain, the CPU never exceeds a temp of 45°C right? Above that the BIOS may start underclocking, though I have run mine at 55 before during the last heat-wave with no problems. Keep in mind that you need to check the temp while the CPU is under load, not idle; it will generate more heat when working.

It could be that the motherboard/BIOS is limited to 1.7GHz, I looked up your motherboard but couldn't find anything like that, but it is a possibility though highly unlikly; the BIOS version is called P17..

Maybe there is a setting in the BIOS that has it forced to limit any CPU to 1.6GHz, my motherboard has over/under-clocking options that it will active at every start, though I have it set to a 20% overclock. Yours may be set to underclock to 1.6GHz. Look around in it and see what you find, but don't change anything unless you know what you're doing; changing the wrong setting could fry the system. Once you get the magic blue smoke, there's no going back

Finally, You have a very outdated motherboard, Socket 478 (Your CPU socket) is quite old, and has been superseded by Socket T (LGA775) which may be phased out in the next few years by Socket B (LGA1366). It could be that your motherboard is simply starting to show its age, and may not be capable of handling the full speed anymore.

It may be time to upgrade that board, not having any PCI-E ports is also limiting you to low end video cards which also limits your systems performance and graphics quality. You can find LGA775 boards for anywhere between $50 and $300 depending on what features you want with it (SLI/Crossfire and more than 2 PCI-E16 ports will bring the price up alot) and a 2GHz CPU for as little as $20 if you know where to look.

Maybe someone else has another idea to bring your current board up to speed; but I'd just upgrade, as I do whenever money allows and sell off the parts I dont need anymore

Interested in buying any parts? LOL

4422.png

I1 - CZVR

Help controllers maintain their sanity; file a correct equipment code http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

Hi Joseph, thanks for your reply.

I didn't realise I had put an SL725 cpu in. Not sure this is an issue but that's a mobile specific chip. Possibly the CPU speed is set by the core voltage. In my case this seems to be fixed at 1.165. There's no way to increase it that I can see. The references seem to indicate that a core voltage closer to 1.25 is needed to get the faster speed.

I think you are right and that a new motherboard would be a good idea. Of course then you need faster memory...........

Again, many thanks for your help

Phill

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479