You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSIM Question

Andrew Bryson 922744

Andrew Bryson 922744
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

I'm from Edmonton and new to VATSIM (and also have my private pilots license). VATSIM is ever so cool!

I was wondering... if I'm at an airport and want to fly VFR and I have controllers in range, but not for my airport... would I contact that controller or would I just use 122.8?

Thx in advance!

Greg Phelan 810114
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM - always good to see another Canadian.

To answer your question, it depends on the airport. Using the Edmonton area as an example, if you were at the International or City Centre, you would contact ATC (I will specify which ones in a moment). If you were at, for instance, Rocky Mountain House (or any airport without a CZ), you wouldn't have to call. At uncontrolled airports with a control zone (Red Deer, for example), it is probably best to call - some controllers work the CZ area, some don't.

As far as who to call, of course, if there is ATC for that airport, then that'd be the best person to contact. For Edmonton International, you'd want to call "CYEG__V_DEL" or "CYEG_DEL", if available. If DEL (Clearance Delivery) isn't up, then you would contact Ground (GND), failing that, Tower (TWR). If neither of those were on, you would contact Edmonton Terminal (usually using "CYEG_V_APP" as a callsign). He/she will work the entire Edmonton Terminal Control Area, for simplicity's sake it is two overlapping circles, one around CYEG, the other around CYXD, out to 35 miles from each airport.

If Edmonton Terminal is not around, then you should (if you are at a place where you should contact ATC) call up centre (CZEG_V_CTR, typically; the middle letter may vary).

Hopefully this makes sense, if you want any more information, don't hesitate to ask.

Greg Phelan

Director - Flight Training

VATSIM

Andrew Bryson 922744
Posted
Posted

Thanks for providing this information to me. It seems as though I was on the right track with regards to protocol. See you in the skies! (hopefully not too close, of course)