You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Halifax International Scenery

Christian Blouin 1080388

Christian Blouin 1080388
Posted
Posted

Hi, As soon as I got X-plane, I got myself on the ramp of CYHZ to quickly fly over Nova Scotia. However, the ramp is covered in trees. Any Canadian out there who knows of an OK scenery for this airport for X-plane?

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

Hey Christian, welcome to the X-Plane world. I created the CYHZ scenery for the default X-plane database a few months ago. The way X-Plane is currently set up, it does not exclude things like trees, roads, etc from anything other than the original default scenery. Eventually the land cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] data will be updated to fix this type of stuff, but for now we're pretty much stuck with it. Originally X-Plane had the taxiways on the wrong side of the runway and they were not accurate, so I drew out the airport and put everything in the proper location. Unfortunately there are trees on that side of the field.

A temporary solution would be to download a program called Overlay editor (you can get from the download manager at x-plane.org). With that program, you can go to the airport and draw out an area that you do not want trees, etc to be drawn and they will be gone. It's a fairly simple program to use. If you can't figure it out, just pm me and I'll send you my overlay.

Mods, feel free to move this thread to the X-Plane forum.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Christian Blouin 1080388
Posted
Posted

Shawn, thanks for your work and the reply!

It was comical when I started to explain to my son that I just bough this extra realistic game with 60Gb of land coverage, while I was taxiing through a forest

I'll look into the overlay editor once I'm back into being comfortable with the sim. I'll PM you if I run into troubles.

Cheers,