You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Not able to connect to Network

Roger Curtiss

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I am running a new HP computer with Vista Home Premium. I loaded VRC and I can access the network server list. I initiate the connection and receive onscreen notice that the servers have been located. But then 20 seconds later I receive the notice that I have been disconnected with no additional explanation.

I am wondering if perhaps I am unable to open a port or if my Norton anti-virus is blocking the connection...although I tried disabling Norton and the result was the same.

I am using a trial version of Norton but I am reluctant to purchase it if it could be the source ofr my problem. And if it is, is there another anti-virus program that would not give me this problem? I ran Norton on my old XP machine and never had an issue with it.

If it is port denial- how do I overcome that? I am not sure how/where to access that information.

Thanks,

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Kill Norton. Norton and McAfee cause my clients more billed support hours than anything else combined (man, I love those companies - the amount of income I get "fixing" computers with those two is lovely).

That said, uninstall Norton and get Avast, or AVG, or maybe Trend Micro for virus scanning.

Uninstall/Reinstall VRC (just for the heck of it), and see if that helps.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Norton is popular for companies, to prevent the user to open ports etc. For private use it is repeated to come up in forum as a problem for VATSIM users. You may search forum for Norton.

There are free better options such as AVG.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Ok...I uninstalled Norton, uninstalled/re-installed VRC and I still get disconnected 20 seconds after connectng. I am running my internet connection off of a wireless router which was not the case at my previous home. Could that be the problem...and if so- how.

Thanks again for all the help-very much appreciated.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I dont know if reason could to be the wireless router. But i should try setup and connect PC direct to internet/modem, alternative setup a wire-router if available. Since wireless router may have an other kind of double direction firewall, cryptation etc. While wire-router simply have an input firewall.

Remember to activate firewall in PC if connect without router.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Roger, it's the wireless router, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it isn't keeping...uPnP traffic flowing the way it needs to.

Try posting in the VRC help forum for what ports you need to open up to get VRC running properly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Gary, you were absolutely dead on. It took a bit of wrangling with the router manufacturer but I finally got it sorted out and am now happily able to gain access to the network.

Thanks for the help.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Awesome. Glad to hear you got it working.