You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FLIGHT CREATION

John McDermott 932715

John McDermott 932715
Posted
Posted

Hi - i would like to venture further into this fantastic pastime in which I am a complete novice and would appreciate a bit of guidance, particularly on creating routes to fly.

I have been reading lots about FS BUILD and FS NAVIGATOR - does anyone have strong views about the best option? Flying FS9 with PMDG 737/800.

Also, since I am so new to this I am guessing that one should set up some practice before installing SB3 and going "live" - is this the correct approach?

Sorry if the questions sound naive but I'm learing as I go along!

Finally, what and where is PRC ??

Cheers,

John

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

PRC = Pilot Resource Center.

http://vatsim.net/prc

You must join to access the materials. Use your VATSIM ID but pick a new p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word (don't use the one issued by VATSIM).

The PRC is a great source for all of your "getting started" type of questions. It will even answer questions you haven't thought about yet! Your time will be well spent reading through the tutorials and taking the tests.

Welcome to VATSIM John.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

hello John, welcome to VATSIM.

As this is the UK forum, I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you would like to start flying in the UK. Have a look at the VATSIM-UK website at www.vatsim-uk.org In particular you will find the standard routes between airports in the section Pilots>Pilot information. You don't actually require FSBuild or FSNav in order to fly, but a lot of people find them useful. I'll leave someone else to comment on the options, as I'm basically a VFR pilot.

The best way of doing an IFR flight is to try it offline first, so that you can pause as many times as you need to while figuring out which buttons to press. Then try online, and put "new pilot" in the remarks section of your flightplan so that the controllers know you may need extra help or extra time.

I'd suggest don't start with a flight into or out of Heathrow or Manchester, as they can be very busy. If you want to fly IFR pick a middle sized airport, and select a flight that has a SID and a STAR, and maybe a little bit of airway in between. (My first one was EGSS-EGBB). The next UK New Pilots night on Weds 6th July will feature an IFR flight from Glasgow to Leeds, and training materials will be available shortly. You can find details at http://www.vatsim-uk.org/forum/index.php?topic=4227.0

I look forward to meeting you online.

Ruth

Deputy Director, VATSIM-UK

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

John McDermott 932715
Posted
Posted

Hi Ruth & George,

Thanks for such a quick response and for the directions - looking forward to getting started.

I do a lot of commercial flying in my job which takes me to some interesting destinations around Africa, India, Middle East, Mediterranean and various other destinations, all out of Edinburgh and via LHR so will do a few practice hops from there around the UK but taking your advice Ruth and avoiding the busy centres such as Heathrow and Manchester! Think I've got a lot of reading and practice to do!

Thanks again,

John

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted

When you learn the basics of flying if you need a wee insider of ATC, the best thing to do is load up in a small aircraft at some airport but don't move just listen to what the other pilots are doing, you will usually end up understanding what is happening and pick up on the details and procedures for talking to the controllers. One thing you must make sure is that if you have ANY question no matter how silly you think it is ask, because these questions will prevent stupid mistakes from happening. I would recommened you also try and download Servinfo if you haven't already and check out the pilot section for SID and STAR charts. There are usually regular training nights so if i was you i would check out www.vatsim-uk.org on the forum there is a regular update on any such events taking place. They are usually a lot of fun and enjoying which helps your confidence and skills in aviation. I hope to see you in the skies soon

Welcome to Vatsim!!

Thanks

Scott

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

For flight planning i follow this simple rule:

1. Go to the originating airport VACC/ARTCC-site and look for charts.

2. Go to the destination airport VACC/ARTCC-site and look for charts.

3. For the originating airport, look at the charts and find the exit-point that transits you from the Terminal area onto the airway. This is normally the end-point of a SID (Standard Instrument Departure)

4. For the destination airport, look at the charts and find the entry-point that transits you from the airway into the terminal area. This is normally the start-point of a STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival Route)

5. Connect the exit-point and entry-point via airways. I use FSNAv for this, it's excellent.

6. Check on the originating airport charts that you have the SID's. If you don't have it, just tell the controller that you are unable to follow SID so and so when asking for clearance. Don't accept a SID without actually having the charts.

Also make sure that your aircraft is able to fly the SID. Not all aircraft does have for example an FMS which with you can fly RNAV SID's. Also, perhaps the SID involves navigating via an NDB or VOR or DME and perhaps your aircraft is not equipped with this. In these cases you have to tell the controller this. "Unable to comply with SID so and so...."

Normally you will get vectors for departure.

7. During the flight, prepare for your arrival by checking the charts and when you know which runway is in use, pick out that STAR-chart and be ready.

This is how i "try" to do it. I get it right most of the time but sometimes it's not possible to find charts or the VACC/ARTCC site is in a language i don't understand and thus i can not find charts. In those cases i just use FSNav and write a comment in the flightplan "NO CHARTS, HAVE FSNAV" or something like that. The flightplan will not be correct but the controller has the option to change it for me.

It is not always true that the SID ends where the airway begins or that the STAR begins where the airway ends, sometimes there are transitions. This is particularly true for arrivals. Some airports have transitions all the way into final approach. They are described on separate charts.

Best Regards / Jan

John McDermott 932715
Posted
Posted

Jan and Scott,

Thanks guys for your invaluable information and directions - will go off and try a few of the tips which you have suggested and see if we can get ourselves airborne and safely from departure to destination!

Cheers,

John