You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Hardware Question?

Michael Bonertz 966129

Michael Bonertz 966129
Posted
Posted

Looking at getting a new computer will be running vista 64bit intel quad Q9550 2.83ghz CPU.

These are already built I'm not building my own so this is what I have to go with, it is a smokin deal so thats why I am not building.

Two different systems: Question is should I get 4gigs DDR3 1333 ram with a 9800 GTX+ 512mb video card and the GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-DS3R Intel Motherboard,

OR 8gigs DDR2 800 ram and the GTX 260 896mb video card and the ASUS nForce 750i Ultra SLI motherboard ??

I am leaning more towards the 4gigs ram and the 9800 GTX with the intel board. Better overclocking and upgrade capabilities with the intel board from what I can find.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Alexander Zy 1082493
Posted
Posted

I'm gonna have to agree with you. They are both good, and will run fsx in highest settings, but I would go with 4 gigs and intel. My computer is way worse and I can have fsx in very high everything, trilinear filtiring and anti-aliasing on.

When in doubt, hold onto your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky.

4427901451_1e411df977_o.jpg

Canadian Xpress Virtual Airline®

Joseph Jaster 932528
Posted
Posted

I also agree with going with the first system. The DDR3 1333MHz RAM is going to be a lot faster than DDR2 at 800MHz, and if you overclock you should get 1600MHz with no problems. I'm currently running 666MHz DDR2 RAM overclocked to 800MHz and it's a major bottleneck for me, though as a personal rule I never overclock more than 20% unless I have the money to buy a replacement (I wish! )

One thing I want to mention though, if I were getting this system I would get a motherboard with two PCI-E16 ports, although the GA-EP45T-DS3R has two, one is limited to 8x, not really suitable for a second high-end video card if you get a second one in the future. If you don't plan to get another one then I don't see any reason not to get it.

4422.png

I1 - CZVR

Help controllers maintain their sanity; file a correct equipment code http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

you do realize the i7's are coming out in just a couple of weeks... $550+ for i7 chip at 2.93ghz Quad core. Then you can actually use the 1333mhz more effectivwly as the i7 can fetch from memory and do other operations in the same cycle.