You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATNZ Flight Club 13 Nov 08 - NZNS to NZPP

Mark Richards

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

VATNZ Flight Club - November 13th - Nelson to Paraparaumu

fc20081113a_400x390.jpg

This week we will finally be crossing the Cook Strait for a taste of North Island scenery. This flight will be just over an hour long. We will leave Nelson heading off to the south and then tracking via the Wairau river and then straight to Paraparaumu.

So bring along your Cessnas, Pipers or Helicopters for pure enjoyment of this flight.

Departure Time: Thursday November 13th 2008 19:00

Flight Time: 1.0 to 2.0 hrs

Route:

• Depart Nelson (NZNS) and head south-west following SH6
  • Then head south at Belgrove following the Wai-Iti Valley through Hiwipango, Golden Downs (interesting looking valley there on GM), and Kikiwa to join SH63 at Tophouse
  • Then follow the Wairau River before turning inland and overhead NZPN (Picton-Koromiko) for T&G if you have addon scenery
  • Then cross over Picton township and fly up Queen Charlotte sound and follow the route of the Interislander Ferry
  • Then follow the coast north to Tory Channel and cross to the coast west of Wellington. Follow the coast north to Paraparaumu (NZPP) for a full stop landing.

However if you feel like you cannot follow specific landmarks to each waypoint you may track direct to each airport.

Late-comers: Late-comers or people not wanting to fly the whole route can join us from Wellington at 20:00

Voice Channel: General pilot-to-pilot voice chat during this will be available on rw1.vatpac.org/vatnzflightclub.

(Use the Private Voice Chat in SB or the Company Frequency feature in FSInn to tune this server.)

For further enjoyment of this flight I recommend you have the following,

- Red Baron New Zealand Land Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]

- Geographx 75m Mesh or 20m Mesh (payware)

- Roads and Rivers of New Zealand (payware)

Details at the VATNZ Forums: http://www.vatnz.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1205

For those flying in FSX, you simply HAVE to get the freeware NZPP scenery from Avsim and install it before the flight. It's brilliant.

The aircraft will also do a low slow orbit overhead Whitby en route to honour Brett Collings who died on Saturday. Brett lived in Whitby and his funeral is in Whitby a few hours before the Flight Club event.

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hey Mark,

great! I may join since I flew there myself for real almost exactly one year ago!

Could you also publish the times in the ZULU-format for people who are not that often in your region!? 1900 NZ DST should be 0600Z, correct? Thanks!

Leaving Nelson

IMG_0794.jpg

Waiau River (we were heading down to CH to return the plane to CAC)

IMG_0799.jpg

Marlboro Sounds

IMG_0261.jpg