You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Virtual memory paging file

Julian Diamandis 926992

Julian Diamandis 926992
Posted
Posted

I was wondering if setting the page file incorrectly can cause FS9 to crash? I have mine set to system managed at the moment.

I notice that there is an option to use a custom size. I am aware that the CPU and on board memory and graphic devices are the essentials. But can the virtual memory options help or hinder performance?

I have had 'crash to desktop' CTD, in which I have been unsuccessfully in solving, and I have explored a variety of solutions.

Processor: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 467MB used, 3470MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

I'm wondering if I did use a custom size what would happen? What does everyone have theirs set to?

Videocard: GTX480

Processor: i7 core

Mainboard:

Memory:

Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium

PSU: CAIR 750W CMPSU-750TXUK

http://www.youtube.com/user/joolsd

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I was wondering if setting the page file incorrectly can cause FS9 to crash? I have mine set to system managed at the moment.

That's generally the best setting to use.

I have had 'crash to desktop' CTD, in which I have been unsuccessfully in solving, and I have explored a variety of solutions.

If you run out of Virtual Memory, you're likely to have a warning and then possibly a BSOD. Not likely a crash to desktop. Besides, with Task Manager you can see your peak Commit Charge use, versus the limit.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

CTD for me always means double checking the actual FSUIPC.DLL to see if it wasn't overwritten by some careless install program Happens more often then you'd think, and like drivers always make sure the most current release is installed.

As far as memory issues, it's always good to think of everything running in windows as one "single" program. That being said trimming down the number of background services is essential if it truly is a memory issue. This will address that issue...

http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

good luck

• 1 month later...
Ross Bristo 1010003
Posted
Posted

The way you work out your paging file is

2046 x 1.5 = 3072 <--This is your initial size

2046 x 2.5 = 5120 <-- This is your max size

This all obviously goes in the custom area and works a treat.

atc1o.png

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

There is no reason to make it dynamic, a static size would be much better.

The way you work out your paging file is

2046 x 1.5 = 3072 <--This is your initial size

2046 x 2.5 = 5120 <-- This is your max size

This all obviously goes in the custom area and works a treat.

Ian Oliver
Posted
Posted

The rule of thumb is, as others have pointed out, 2.5x your RAM.

Running out of virtual memory will result in the operating system crashing BUT your performance will be dire for a long time before that - disks will be thrashing for a start.

Ian