You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The Localizer Monthly Newsletter !!

Dave Catalani

Jim Johnson 814050
Posted
Posted
What in hell's creation is wrong with you people? Are your lives so empty, so devoid of anything of value that you spend countless pages in this forum doing nothing but spouting vitriol and other pointless [Mod - lovely stuff]pola? In case you've all forgotten, THIS IS A FREAKING HOBBY!!!

Careful with who you direct that one at... the VATSIM President is agreeing with those of us who say it makes more sense to post the newsletter on the website

From its inception, IT WAS INTENDED AS AN EMAIL NEWSLETTER. This decision was made due to the fact that outside of original signups and testing, LESS THAN 25% OF THE MEMBERS OF VATUSA TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK AT EITHER THE VATUSA WEBSITE OR THIS FORUM. In hopes of gaining a wider audience the decision was made to send it via email.

If no one visits the VATUSA website to look at posted material, how/why are they going to visit the VATUSA website to sign up for an e-mail? It makes more sense to post the newsletter on the website, advertise that fact here, and let anyone read it without subscriptions, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words, and more e-mail.

Jim Johnson

VP - Membership (VATGOV12)

j.johnson(at)vatsim.net

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Sperduto 856560

• Alex Bailey 969331

• Harold Rutila 974112

• Wayne Conrad 989233

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Sperduto 856560

Brian Sperduto 856560 7 posts

• Alex Bailey 969331

Alex Bailey 969331 5 posts

• Harold Rutila 974112

Harold Rutila 974112 4 posts

• Wayne Conrad 989233

Wayne Conrad 989233 4 posts

Popular Days

• Dec 9 2008

16 posts

• Dec 6 2008

11 posts

• Dec 5 2008

9 posts

• Dec 10 2008

8 posts

Gary Millsaps 830104
Posted
Posted

Jim,

I have no qualms about the direction of my words...

As for whether the newsletter gets posted, a link is posted to it or it remains as is, I will re-iterate that it is Mathew's product to do with it as he sees fit. I fully support and thank him for the work and effort he has made in bringing it to the membership.

Gary Millsaps

VATUSA1

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...

guaranteed."

Zach Saxman 972495
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mathew for the great newsletter! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I cant wait for the next issue. Hope you had as much fun writing it as I did reading it!

Zach

ZFW ARTCC

C3 Controller

Go Steelers!

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

Gary -

I think those of us suggesting that it should be posted on the website are trying to do the same thing you are - improve the hobby. We have been given sufficient information to indicate to us that the signup process is secure, so "giving out a social security number" analogy put forth by others is flawed. That doesn't change the fact that, in my empty, devoid life, I believe posting the silly thing on the website would be beneficial to VATUSA.

Does it really matter to you if you relented and let it be posted on the website? The membership you serve seems to be asking for it. 25% of the VATUSA membership may hit the website, but some ad campaign aimed at only 75% of the target audience (actually less than 75%, because realistically, who needs more email in their inbox? I imagine the "no thanks rate" is rather high) seems less than optimal, imho.

Further, I really don't think anyone here is trying to insult you or the work you've done. We're not nitpicking, do not think you or anyone else inept.

Anyway, I post this in the spirit of trying to improve the hobby, take my words for what you want.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Steve Jones 971079
Posted
Posted
What in hell's creation is wrong with you people? Are your lives so empty, so devoid of anything of value that you spend countless pages in this forum doing nothing but spouting vitriol and other pointless [Mod - lovely stuff]pola? In case you've all forgotten, THIS IS A FREAKING HOBBY!!!

For all the mongers,...STOP THIS INSANE MALARKY NOW!

IT IS THE DAMNED TRUTH!

For those of you who can't seem to get past your own hysteria and your "...the sky is falling..." posting habits; get over it.

Do you gentlemen honestly think that we in VATUSA management are so inept, so stupid that some measure of thought and consideration has not gone into all this? Do you honestly think those in VATSIM would 1) have placed such inept persons in these positions? 2) or not hung my hide from a barndoor for mis-using your credentials? Think about it.

It seems to me, based upon your quotes above, that you have answered your own questions Mr. Milsaps. To me, it seems a shame that a VATSIM "leader" would have to resort to such language and name calling. Not the kind of "leadership" that I would expect of such a fine organization as VATSIM.

By the way, while I have no doubts that Mr. Magera managed to put together a top-notch newsletter, I have not had the pleasure of reading it because I do not see the link under Pilot Tools. I will add that I agree with the others that it seems to me to make more sense to simply post the newsletter on the VATUSA website than to have to register to receive it via email.

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

If I may, could I suggest that any further suggestions or opinions be emailed to Mr. Magera directly so we can shut this thread down...

Lets respect all opinions here and not let this go the direction of the countless other train wrecks in the forum.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Stephen Sculley-Beaman
Posted
Posted

Is today VATUSA's official 'forgot my pills' day? Christ. Such a dramatic thread.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Before we all leave...

I have one more question, more or less related to the topic. Gary mentioned that only 25% of VATUSA members are visiting vatusa.net. How has this figure been determined? I'm guessing it is taking into account the user logins on the website. If that's the case, I don't think the figure is correct because I would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that most people don't login to check the website, something that I often also don't do. Logging in to vatusa.net doesn't do a whole lot in terms of functionality (for the everyday member), and I'm sure many members simply go to the website without logging in at all.

Matt Bromback
Posted
Posted

Without giving my opinion on this issue...lets just look at the facts now then

Gary you said this:

First off, the development and management of the newsletter and its dissemination was under the charge of Mathew Magera, VATUSA5. From its inception, IT WAS INTENDED AS AN EMAIL NEWSLETTER. This decision was made due to the fact that outside of original signups and testing, LESS THAN 25% OF THE MEMBERS OF VATUSA TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK AT EITHER THE VATUSA WEBSITE OR THIS FORUM.

How many people have signed up now?? is it more or less then this 25%?? You might say its to early to tell but usually whatever numbers you have provide a strong indication on how well the program is doing.

Matt Bromback

Air Traffic Manager

N[Mod - Happy Thoughts]au FIR

Tommy Rogers 971040
Posted
Posted

I'll sign up via email, read on web, or RSS feed. I really don't care. It only took me about 20 seconds to sign up even with putting in my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word...not sure what the big deal is.

Tommy Rogers, C-3

ZMA Controller

Vatsim Supervisor

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Since we're down to -

LMAOROFL

Safe to say this thread needs to end.

RJ