You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cheers to KZKC for GA support!

Van Stokes 848478

Van Stokes 848478
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to give a big CHEERS to KZKC group for putting together a nice GA (General Aviation) event. It was nice to fly VFR with about a dozen or so other GA aircraft milling about. I look forward to more GA events in the future!

More info about KZKC summer GA support can be found here: http://www.zkcartcc.org/events/vfrnight.php

Trevor Bair 816660
Posted
Posted

Excellent idea and thanks KC! Been looking for an event like this to staff some of the lesser-known airports in the area.

Look forward to the next one!

TRB

--

Trevor Bair

MD-88 Sr. Captain

Delta Virtual Airlines

fdj1up5.gif

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted

Wow more positive results from VFR events.

I do believe the Event Coordinators at KZTL (Atlanta) are cooking up something huge, and all I can say is..it will be a VFR event -- might want to check our site, http://www.ztlartcc.org regularly for information.

T.C. Kocher

pilot.gif

3712.png

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

The Mile-High ARTCC Will be doing the same some time this summer. Only you'll get to come to some challenging Mountain airports.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
The Mile-High ARTCC Will be doing the same some time this summer. Only you'll get to come to some challenging Mountain airports.

Glen Springs here I come!

Ethan Stein 890841
Posted
Posted

ZOA has general aviation night every Tuesday; we staff smaller airports such as SJC, MRY, LVK, SMF, SAC, etc.... No ATC at SFO allowed

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That's a great way to encourage traffic into the smaller fields (disallowing ATC at your cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B field) ... glad to hear that ZOA, ZKC and others are actually taking steps to encourage GA. I'm going to have to dust off the C172 and head out west.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted (edited)
That's a great way to encourage traffic into the smaller fields (disallowing ATC at your cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B field) ... glad to hear that ZOA, ZKC and others are actually taking steps to encourage GA. I'm going to have to dust off the C172 and head out west.

Seeing how I'm so broke and can't afford to fly for real (have got about 26 hours towards my license, but not enough money) I have a friend who is a PP-ASEL-I, whom I actually feel like I pushed to get his rating after loaning him my old copy of FS2000, then promptly when FS2002 comes out we both go buy it. He has FS9 now, but doesn't fly it much..actually does more real world stuff. I bet I've sat right seat with this guy since 2003 a total of about 100 hours, and enjoyed every bit of it, even if I'm not flying.

My whole goal was to give the people in the Central US and all over as well a chance to have an event where they could learn to walk before running. Most of us don't go out and get our certs to fly CATII in a 737 as our first, so I decided to tailor it towards those who have a love for the bugsmashers as I do.

The GA event may well be expanded to a year round event, but being it is the central part of the US, thunderstorms and all, and yes, believe it or not, we do see some snow occasionally, that will be something that remains to be seen. But our controllers have great fun doing it, I have fun teaching anyone who is new about VFR procedures, controllers and pilots alike, and I love having to remain on my toes while I'm moving six planes in the local pattern at a time.

Since next week is a long one for us in the States (July 4 weekend), we decided to include a two more airports in the mix. So, for July 3, your destinations will be KCOU (Columbia Airport), KJEF (Jefferson City), KALN (Alton-St Louis Regional) and KSUS (Spirit of St Louis). The last two are inside the T75 TRACON airspace, so it should make for an interesting event. We typically have, at the very least, tower manned on all airports, and some airports are finding ground manned as well.

Just because this is a GA focused event, doesn't mean we won't welcome IFR traffic. But, the airports we focus on typically don't have the long runways needed for landing/departing the larger aircraft. Typically, nothing larger than regional jet/bizjet can operate on these fields.

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. I tried doing this about two years ago in ZKC, promoted it for almost three weeks, and two aircraft showed up in two hours. Our movements now are more on the order of about 30-40 in the event, and I'm sure this past Sunday was hurt a little by the Poker Run (it may have burned out the GA pilots, but ZSE did a great job, I flew from Yakima to Tri-Cities and had a blast).

So next week, dust off that bugsmasher that you usually just fly by on the FS9 aircraft menu, and most of all, come out and have fun.

--Mark Brummett

ZKC Facility Chief

Edited by Guest

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Jim Machintosh 880828
Posted
Posted

Make sure you stop in ZAB! With 360 VFR days a year, be sure to stay tuned for a regular VFR event coming soon!

We have an event this weekend at TUS, but after that I will be making an event for GA traffic to visit some great small fields in the desert!

Jim Machintosh - ZAB C1

ZAB Staff Alumni

25tey52.jpg

Sim Routes Administrator

simroutes300.jpg

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted

And im not going to plug ZLA, or any other ARTCC. . .

but rather, job well done ZKC. From all the pilots that I have spoken to about the event, you guys did a great job. Keep up the quality work.

CMEL.CSEL.IA.AGI.CFI.CFII.MEI.CRJ2.FO.Furloughed

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png