You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help me with the aircraft type suffix for the Cirrus Jet

Martin Arial 1085160

Martin Arial 1085160
Posted
Posted

Hi all.

Since I got no reply in 2 days on the other forum where I used to read/write, here is a copy and paste of my original question. Hoping to get more answers here.

I've read several articles including this one ( http://usa-w.vatsim.net/prc/VPTPublic/122/122a/122a.htm ) and that one ( http://vwings.com/mbev/wikka/ChoosingEquipmentCode ) about the aicraft type suffix that we must choose when filling up a flight plan.

I think I've read too much on the subject and I now all mixed-up between Simple RNAV, advanced RNAV, GPS, LORAN, Single FMS, Dual FMS, TACAN, RVSM, GNSS, etc. etc.

Can someone be kind enough to simply tell me what the Cirrus Jet suffix is please?

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Martin,

I generally just use the code for the most advanced piece of Nav gear on board. For most planes, that's the FMS.

In the US, I'd just use /K - which is "FMS with RVSM." Since we consider all aircraft on VATSIM as RVSM-capable, /F would work fine too if that's easier to remember.

Martin Arial 1085160
Posted
Posted

Glad to have you here also Wade.

The Cirrus Jet is just a GA aircraft, so no FMS on board. And since it's civilian, no TACAN on board either. Hence, lots are eliminated.

Now about the /G, I don't know if the Cirrus Jet is considered /G compliant because it's GPS is not programmable. Only one data can be navigated at a time. So, is a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive GPS equipped aircraft can be considered Advanced RNAV. I don't know.

Also, on the XSquawkbox dropdown menu, the /S is not available and according the first link above, the /S is supposed to be one of the more popular choice. Do you plan to include it in the next version of XSquawkbox ?

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

Let me start by saying I am unfamiliar with how X-Plane models the Cirrus Jet given the fact there is only one flying prototype in existence in the real world, but some of your comments don't seem quite right.

The Cirrus Jet is just a GA aircraft, so no FMS on board.

There are lots of GA aircraft which have FMS's on board -- including King Airs with the Proline 21 avionics suite and many bizjets. Am not sure what Cirrus has said the final avionics suite will be on "the jet" but it is certainly possible it might have an FMS. F1 (Flight Test Vehicle 1) has the L3 smart deck installed, but not sure what the production aircraft will have.

And since it's civilian, no TACAN on board either
Not quite...there are civilian aircraft which work with the military (Flight International comes to mind) which are equipped with TACAN receivers. MSFS doesn't simulate TACAN, not sure about X-Plane but saying a civilian plane won't have TACAN isn't accurate.

Now about the /G, I don't know if the Cirrus Jet is considered /G compliant because it's GPS is not programmable. Only one data can be navigated at a time. So, is a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive GPS equipped aircraft can be considered Advanced RNAV. I don't know.
Uh, not sure where you are getting that data from. Again, I don't know if you are talking real-world or X-plane specifics. A Garmin GNS-430 is "programmable" and it can navigate to only one fix at a time and it is certainly "/G". Not sure where you are getting this "p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive GPS equipped" phrase from as there is no such phrase as "p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive GPS" in the world of real world avionics (at least in the US -- all GPS units are "receivers") - can you elaborate?

The issue of whether you can file as advances RNAV or not in an ICAO flightplan has to do with if the GPS is certified to meet RNP requirements in the enroute and terminal environments and whether or not it can fly RNAV SIDS and STARS meeting the nav RNP requiremetns.

Dave

Dave

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
Uh, not sure where you are getting that data from. Again, I don't know if you are talking real-world or X-plane specifics.

David,

Sadly, the default Garmin GPS in X-plane can only accept a single waypoint. The default FMS essentially operates as a "programmable GPS" - allowing the input of multiple waypoints, but lacking the full FMS functionality.

That's to what he's referring.

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

That makes sense, although I still don't understand his whole discussion of "p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive GPS" since that is not a phrase I've ever used in this context in aviation. Bottom line is that if you have a GPS that can go to a waypoint, as far as VATSIM is concerned, you could file as /G. Just update to the next waypoint as you reach each one...

Big issue with the sufffix (as far as VATSIM is concerned) is if you are capable of navigating direct to a fix (which clearly you can with this model) or are limited to airways and VOR-to-VOR navigation...the other stuff is all meaningless on VATSIM.

Dave

Martin Arial 1085160
Posted
Posted

O.k.

Let me start off by saying that I'm just an "Average Internet Joe" that have read the whole PRC, playing it's X-Plane sim, and did a couple of simple VATSIM flight. That's the only aviation background I have. So, yes, all the questions or comments I do are based on Virtual/VATSIM/X-Plane related only. No real worl here for me. Sorry for not having specified. I apologize. And please don't quote me on the exact meaning of the word or "phrase" that I use, as, like I said, my background is very limited. I try my best to play this whole VATSIM stuff the best I can by asking questions so I don't make a foul of myself when connected.

Now, that being said, after having read the whole PRC, the general direction that this lenghty read point us to, is that usually and I really mean usually, TACAN are for military aircraft and FMS are for a notch more expensive aircraft than GA. So sorry for not knowing that TACAN are also in civilian aircrafts and FMS in GA aircrafts. I apologize again.

Now about the GPS found in the X-Plane Cirrus Jet. Sorry, I didn't know what word to use to properly call a GPS that is not programmable. That's all there is to the "P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive" word I used.

Essentially, properly worded, the question should be more like: Is the Cirrus Jet modeled in X-Plane RNP certified. I guess so now based on your comment.

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

Martin,

I think your confusion is you are equating "GA" with small planes like a Cessna 172. A Gulfstream 650 is a "GA" aircraft, same wtih a Lear 60. Those are big business jets, but ALL non-military and non-scheduled airline/cargo operators and aircraft are considered "GA".

The term GA covers a lot of aircraft and most people don't realize that!

Dave

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hey,

I fly a GA-aircraft, too: the D[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ault Falcon 2000EX EASy. And still, we have the equippment-code /Q.

/Q = /R with RVSM

/R = Required Navigational Performance. The aircraft meets the RNP type prescribed for the route segment(s), route(s) and/or area concerned.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Martin,

We consider all aircraft on VATSIM RSVM-capable.

We consider all aircraft with a GPS or FMS RNP-capable.

We make these broad generalizations since there's no real way to simulate altimeter or equipment accuracy specifications.

Martin Arial 1085160
Posted
Posted

I'm slowly getting the big picture I think.

David: It's exactly that. I was tagging GA with small/less expensive aircraft. Thanks for clearing that up.