You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question on Airways & Fixes

Kyprianos Biris

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted

Something I was wondering about and just needed to clarify :

The route that ES extrapolates from an FPL is based on AIRWAY.txt (FSNavigator data) only or the [FIXES] data in each sector file as well

What about the [LOW AIRWAY] & [HIGH AIRWAY] set of data as well in the sector file ? Is this used as well on FPL's

If the AIRWAY.txt AIRAC data is much more recent than the one in the sector file (Airway's & Fixe's) which one is the governing set of data for FPL precessing

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

The route is calculated based on the airway.txt. The low and high airway section is only for your personal display and has no effect on the calculation. I'm not completely sure about the fixes ... if a FIX (or VOR or NDB) is not in the sectorfile, ES doesn't know it, so it can not work with it. But I am always working with AIRAC-based updated sectorfiles, so I'm not sure how it influences the route calculation. What I know is, that ES can not work with outdated routes in flightplans as it is missing the airway-data. But I don't know how it works if the airway.txt is based on date, not included in the sectorfile.

If You have an airway with a fix in the sectorfile missing, You could simply test the behaviour of ES, using the simulator. Just create an aircraft with that route, and see what ES does. My guess would be, it skips the missing fix ...

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Hi,

The AIRWAY.TXT contains the airways and all the points along them. It also holds the coordinates. Therefore as far as I am able to find all data from the AIRWAY.TXT I do not touch the SCT file. It is tested all time as a FP can be shown far far away from your sector. Only if a name is completely missing (like SID/STAR internal points) then I ask for the coordinates from the SCT. So for fix-airway-fix-airway-fix section the AIRWAY.TXT is the important, while for non-airway part (SID/STAR) the SCT is used.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer