You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Filing SID/STAR's

John Speranza 908835

John Speranza 908835
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

I am a pilot new to New Zealand (I'm mainly spend my time in the US and occasionally hop over to Europe), and was wondering what the policy is as to putting the SID/STARs in the flightplan, at least in New Zealand (or Australia for that matter, since I plan on doing a few hops between the two).

In Europe, it is my understanding that filing the STAR is optional (and can be somewhat discouraged), as this is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned during or before the descent. Same with SID's, but that they are [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned on initial clearance.

For example, I am planning to fly to Perth this afternoon, and my route is as follows: N0463F340 VEMLO L153 HEWIT/M080F360 L153 TAGOD/M80F380 L153 PIY J68 PH

Now, looking at my charts and the TAF's, I'm planning on a Rwy 23L departure, and, as the chart notes, I should expect the Westpoint 5 SID (OT5).

Should I file, N0436F340 OT5 OT DCT VELMO L153...., or, as I stated previously?

Any clarification would be tremendously appreciated!

Best,

John

Terrence Scanlan
Posted
Posted

In Australia and New Zealand you just file your plan without SIDS/STARS inserted. I hope you enjoyed your flight and look forward to seeing you online in our region.

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Hi John, sorry I missed your message but I've been busy with Christmas and working right through.

Welcome to NZ and sorry to have missed your flights.

As Terry rightly points out, no SIDs and STARs into your flightplan, they are always issued by ATC. Auckland's SIDs and STARs are simple because they are simply climbing on the RWY heading to an NDB 10nm from the field in your direction, HD (Whitford) to the East for RWY05R and OT (Westpoint) to the West for RWY23L.

RWY05L/23R is not usually active and 99% of the time is used as a taxiway. It used to be Taxiway Alpha but about 12 years ago was ripped up and relayed and strengthened as a second runway but is only ever used when RWY05R/23L is out of service due to works.

In case you've not called by, the VATNZ Website - www.vatnz.net - has full approach and departure charts for all of New Zealand. Just type the ICAO code of the Airport into the VATNZ Airspace Search Box on the right hand side and you will be taken to information, including the charts, frequencies, Google Map etc of the airport. Be sure to click on the SHOW box to read more about the ATC stations you might encounter, if we happen to be online, as NZ has some rather interesting naming conventions (i.e. CTR is Control, not Centre/Center, APP and DEP are also Control, not Approach or Departures etc)

Welcome and look forward to seeing you online!

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand