You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

RVSM for vintage aircraft

Jose Oliveira 812805

Jose Oliveira 812805
Posted
Posted

If the aircraft it isn’t RVSM certified should I fill RVSM Flight Level for flights above 290? or I’m not allowed to do flights for above 290?

Thanks

José

3.png

Anton Demidov 854971
Posted
Posted

If your a/c isn't RVSM-sertified, you must stay out of RVSM, that means below OR above RVSM i suppose...

and one more: ATC could [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign RVSM FL for you if ATC is sure to separate RVSM and non-RVSM a/cs in the area safety.

Sincerelly yours

Anton

Greg Bishop 900685
Posted
Posted

RVSM was a problem for the now "out of business" Canadian carrier JetsGo. Their DC9's were not RVSM certified and were not allowed to fly above FL290 which really cut into their fuel budget. But there are exceptions, and non-RVSM aircraft can fly in RVSM airspace ... provided ...

Vertical separation between an RVSM aircraft and a non-RVSM craft will be 2000 ft.

RVSM equipped aircaft will have the priority over non-RVSM aircraft

Non-RVSM craft will be allowed to climb or decend through RVSM airspace provided they do not level off in RVSM airspace.

Check out

http://bathursted.ccnb.nb.ca/vatcan/fir/RVSM/VatCan_and_RVSM.html#Non-RVSM

for the entire story of RVSM in Canada

Hope this helps

Greg

962.png

Greg Phelan 810114
Posted
Posted
RVSM was a problem for the now "out of business" Canadian carrier JetsGo. Their DC9's were not RVSM certified and were not allowed to fly above FL290 which really cut into their fuel budget. But there are exceptions, and non-RVSM aircraft can fly in RVSM airspace ... provided ...

Vertical separation between an RVSM aircraft and a non-RVSM craft will be 2000 ft.

RVSM equipped aircaft will have the priority over non-RVSM aircraft

Non-RVSM craft will be allowed to climb or decend through RVSM airspace provided they do not level off in RVSM airspace.

Check out

http://bathursted.ccnb.nb.ca/vatcan/fir/RVSM/VatCan_and_RVSM.html#Non-RVSM

for the entire story of RVSM in Canada

Hope this helps

Greg

Well, JetsGo(ne) sure tried to convince everybody they were RVSM certified... until one of their pilots botched a landing and Transport Canada looked at the books.

As far as vintage aircraft go, in Canada (other countries may vary), you most likely won't get an RVSM altitude. There are a few excemptions, such as military/state aircraft, medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) flights, humanitarian flights, flights conducting a flight-check of a NAVAID, aircraft making a continuous climb through RVSM airspace (going up to FL430 or beyond, in Canada), "in the interests of flight safety" (I suppose if the rides were very bad all throughout non-RVSM airspace), and other aircraft as designated by the Minister of Transport.

Hope this helps,

Greg Phelan

Director - Flight Training

VATSIM

Matthew Kreilein 881422
Posted
Posted

Dunno about the rest of the world, but as far as VATUSA is concerned, everything is RVSM certified. Since this is all computer it's impractical to "certify" anything.

You can read the RVSM policy at http://www.vatusa.org/training/RVSM/RVSM.htm

Matthew Kreilein

?cid=881422attachment.php?attachmentid=1125&d=1321217166

Jose Oliveira 812805
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all.

I know about VATUSA it's very clear in the site. But I want to do some flights in Canada using a 721 and couldn't find the info.

No problem, I will do the flights bellow FL290.

José

3.png

Greg Phelan 810114
Posted
Posted

Official VATCAN policy is to consider all aircraft to be RVSM certified - so it's more a matter of realism then anything else, if you want to go up. For interest, some (if not all) of the 721 and 722's operated by Kelowna Flightcraft and CargoJet have been retrofitted with RVSM equipment (as well as GPS/RNAV), so you wouldn't necessarily be unrealistic in climbing high.

You can find VATCAN's official policy in full at the link Greg Bishop provided, a link to this is on VATCAN's front page.

Best,

Greg Phelan

Director - Flight Training

VATSIM