You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

joystick issues and FSX

Daniel Brum

Daniel Brum
Posted
Posted

I was wondering if anyone using FSX has noticed or knows of issues with joystick getting uncalibrated: usually a rudder or banking to one side constantly.

I try fixing it by doing a trim to the left or right on both the rudder or bank settings, but the plane keeps doing it anyways.

Next, as a test, I tried setting my realism settings all the way to easy to see if that had any effect, same thing... still constant movement, slowly, but surely.

The only way I can hold a heading or altitude is to use the autopilot.

I'm wondering if this is a H/W issue, or FSX?

It's an old Sidewinder 2 Joystick with throttle and rudder twist on the stick itself.

thanks

harvard2.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

does this happen in a single engine prop or anything you fly?

if its only in single engine props, thats torque effect. just natural reaction of the plane reacting to the torque of the propeller.

if its in anything you fly, if you have fsuipc you can calibrate the controller in it.

Daniel Brum
Posted
Posted

Hmm good point...I forgot about that!

I usually just fly single prop's: 172, Mooney and Caravan.

What's fsuipc?

harvard2.jpg

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Also, check your tank selection, is it set to BOTH or LEFT/RIGHT?

Daniel Brum
Posted
Posted

@Work - will check later, thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've done RL training on a 172 at my local airport, and while I did learn and feel the torque effect, i could easily keep the plane heading and level with trim adjustments and then do hands off. It just seems like flying the sim is harder then the real thing

thanks

harvard2.jpg

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

One way to test if it's the Joystick or not, unplug it or disable it while flying.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Do this.. go to www.mcdu.com and get yourself a ground vehicle preferably a follow me car. Clear all weather, and proceed to race up and down your favorite runway. It should feel normal, relatively straight as long as the car is lined up. Turn on the winds and race back and fourth on the runway, you should notice the wind pushing you in the same cardinal direction at all times.

That way you might be convinced it's not your joystick...

Daniel Brum
Posted
Posted

I actually tried just turning off the joystick and then also with a 2 prop Beech 350. Final result, it's not the joystick. With no joystick, I had the same problem. With a joystick and the Beech 350, the plane flew perfectly level, was a cinch to land, takeoff, etc.

I will make the 350, or some other dual prop my default plane from now on. Any suggestions on this? I also need to find a guide, that takes me through all the relevant plane info, like proper takeoff speeds, landing speeds, stall, etc. The reason I liked using the 172 was I fly that one in real life, so I know it inside out. But it's time to learn something new, and this is the perfect excuse

I also took this chance to order me a new Dell XPS with a lot of H/W power since I wasn't happy with my current system. Can't wait to get it and test out all the scenery on High. Any suggestions here on an addon high-end scenery package or a link to companies that sell these?

Thanks again everyone for all your help and suggestions.

harvard2.jpg

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Well if you narrowed it down to a plane, then you need to check the other settings.

Verify your trim is actually working.

Verify your tank selection.

Verify fuel levels in each tank are the same.