You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Linux System Gaming Computer

Roger Curtiss

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

I am contemplating the purchase of a dedicated gaming computer and I have seen the following available:

AMD Athlon X@ 4.2 GHz dual core processor

500GB SATA hard drive

2 GB RAM

ATI Radion 512mb video card

This sytem uses a Linnux Ubuntu 8.10 operating system. I have no experience with anything but Windows systems. Is this OS a good choice for running flight sim/VATSIM programs? Is thjere anything else spec-wise I should be looking for?

Thanks for any insights

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Your FS+VATSIM options are limited to X-Plane/XSquawkBox and there is no non-Windows radar client. FlightGear is another sim I am aware of that runs on anything but I don't know of a VATSIM client for it.

I wouldn't consider running Linux on a dedicated gaming computer... there are so few games that can be played on it

But what's to stop you from purchasing a copy of Windows and installing it on the machine?

Tim Krajcar

Ian Oliver
Posted
Posted

For running Linux it'll fly, however FS9/X and most windows apps will not run on Linux (and vice versa). You *can* run some Windows apps either through VMware which pretends to be a PC but you have to install Windows anyway or through Wine which traps Windows calls. Wine does not support DirectX (AFAIK) (not designed to at this moment), while Vmware pretends its a PC so you get everything that Windows can do but what you're effectively doing would be running FSxxx on Windows on Vmware on Linux so you're not going to get the performance you need; I'm not 100% sure how Vmware deals with the virtualised graphics hardware.

The graphics card probably could be better - Nvidia have very good Linux/Unix support, no idea about Radion however.

What software do you want to run?

Otherwise, Ubuntu is a very nice distribution, very stable and thought out. Lots of applications available - I personally use Ubuntu for general day-to-day computing, Solaris on the server and only have Windows for FS9 machine.

Ian

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Just had to add this but in my circle of friends, a dedicated gaming PC is simply an Xbox360

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the input. I think I will p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] on this particular setup and look for something Windows based instead.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png