You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Swapping 2 hard drives

Tom Cahill 1078008

Tom Cahill 1078008
Posted
Posted

Hey, Just wanted some advise on a thought I had a little while ago.

I've got an Nvidia 8600GT video card on this pc, which also happens to be running XP.

In my other room I have a PC with a Core 2 Duo processor, running vista what i'd like to know is :

If I swapped the hard drives and video cards, would the PC i'm on now (the xp one) be running essentially vista and all the files from that pc on the pentium 4 processor in this case, and would my other PC be running XP and the 8600GT video card with the Core 2 duo?

This might be an absoloutley horrific idea that might not work, but I'd appreciate any advise on whether this is a definate no-no or a good idea as long as I check a few things..

Thanks in Advance,

Tom.

8751.png

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Yes, but the problem would be the motherboard drivers from the other machine would also be running.

So you will either have to do a Repair to the OS to have it try to install the new motherboard drivers, or reinstall the OS completely.

Tom Cahill 1078008
Posted
Posted

What If just before swapping I tried to install those motherboard drivers onto this hardrive? Would that work at all?

8751.png

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

If you try to run swapped harddisk you will probably find so many errors before you have a chance to change motherboard drivers.

The Windows installation require to install many Windows-drivers for the specific motherboard during the installation, a new installation is required for a new motherboard.

If you want to swap video card, uninstall video-drivers, then swap cards and install new corresponding video-drivers.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Tom Cahill 1078008
Posted
Posted

Ahh ok, I won;'t bother with swapping my hard drives then

I'll swap my video card though, because i'm sick off call of duty world at war crashing on this pc and I want to play the game I bought!

8751.png

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

While you can try to do this, there are all kinds of challenges involving drivers as mentioned.

Many swaps even XP to XP I've done in the past gave me a looping blue screen after install. I had to repair-reinstall or just install everything fresh to get it to run again.

Albyen Fezga 1069337
Posted
Posted

and definitely i wouldn't recommend running Vista on a Pentium 4