You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Using Wireless Routers

Ed Wolf 995241

Ed Wolf 995241
Posted
Posted

Considering buying a wireless router for the house so can use laptop, etc when desktop is in use. I use my desktop

for all flight simming (VATSIM w/ Squawkbox). Has anyone experienced any problems or issues using VATSIM when using a wireless router? Any port, or IP address issues? I am told that the new routers have been adapted to be "transparent" and avoid any of these issues..is this the case? Appreaciate your help.

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

There are frequently posts on people using wireless routers that need to set up forwarding for various ports/traffic types. Additionally, most wireless routers really aren't designed for game traffic - they can add a lot of latency.

My recommendation would be to plug your gaming pc directly in to the router on an ethernet cable and use the wireless for your other devices.

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Wireless router is really the same as a wired router when it comes to ports.

But I also would never use it for gaming.

• 2 weeks later...
Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

While I am not going to dispute the fact that wired routing is the best option for gaming, I do fly using a wireless network . I even fly shared cockpit with port fwd-ing etc. Other than a couple of disconnects in extreme traffic in the last 4 mos, where I have been able to get back right on, I haven't seen any major issues yet. Although, my usage of a wireless network is by necessity not by choice

My .02.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1