You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Helicopter

Edvinas Pranka 1089484

Edvinas Pranka 1089484
Posted
Posted

Hello, please help for helicopter fly!!!

How must say to ATC from helipad stand for flight?

Please write exemple.

Thanks

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

This is a for a VFR departure.

"Tower XYZ, Callsign, ready to depart helo pad #X, VFR, westbound, with ALPHA."

Really the same for a fixed wing except helos don't have to taxi to a runway to take off, they can depart directly from a helo pad or really even a ramp. While FS doesn't have implications for crowded ramp take offs, in the rw some distance between the helo and other aircraft should be maintained so you don't damage them.

If on a controlled airport they would have also called for a CD first: "Airportname CD, helo callsign, with ALPHA, VFR departure westbound."

If an uncontrolled airport, simply depart and call ATC airborne for flight following.

If IFR, the procedures and radio talk are the same as for fixed wings, except again you probably won't need to taxi to the runway unless for some odd reason you were requested to do so. And, helo generally do air taxi, not ground taxi for any distance. Can you fly it 10 ft off the ground in straight lines slowly?

There may be some EUR specific helo items I am not knowledgeable about so one of my EUR colleagues will chime in and fix anything I said that isn't proper for this part of the world.

Kyle Ramsey

Callum McLoughlin
Posted
Posted

In the UK and possibly in the rest of Europe, helicopters are treated as if they were fixed wing aircraft, and are rarely allowed to lift straight from the pad - having to "hover taxi".