You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Newbie needs help with the connection

Lukas Kulik 917478

Lukas Kulik 917478
Posted
Posted

hi,

i've got a big problem. I installed already every programm i need, and wanted to start a connection. First i started SBRelay..and then Fs9...went to the Multiplayer Session...but nothing appeared there...well i wrote 127.0.0.1 and wanted to search...but even that doesn't work..no connection appeared. I'm using ZoneLabs for firewall and got XP. Can someone exactly say me what i have to do,because I've tried already to disable the ZoneLabs and Xp firewall,and it doesn't work yet-..maybe i've done it wrong

Thanks for your help

Lukas

Regards,

Lukas Kulik

VATSIM Supervisor

vACC-Germany

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

The fault sounds like required port are not open.

> I've tried already to disable the ZoneLabs and Xp firewall

However this seams danger to get virus.

Are you sure ZoneLabs are disabled, I had to close the application ZoneLabs complete before it's disabled (I don't know ZoneLabs more than by some tests).

Are you behind a router that have firewall.

I have read existing docomeents as following:

"

Vatsim doc say:

6809 - for Squawkbox TCP/UDP

6703 for SBRelay (if Used) TCP/UDP

1900/6073/23456 for Direct Play UDP

In addition the AVC support write about:

UDP port 3290 and 3782.

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/sbrelay/help.html

If you have a router or firewall, try forwarding the following ports to your PC's internal IP address (see above for help locating your PC's internal IP, see your router or firewall's manual for help with forwarding ports):

* TCP 47624

* UDP 2300 to 2400

* UDP 6073

"

In Addition to this chocolatesoftware.com/sbrelay, I recommend not to set DMZ (DeMillitaryZone), how I understand, it open all ports for one computer in a router.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Joonas Hakkinen 844485
Posted
Posted

i've got a big problem. I installed already every programm i need, and wanted to start a connection. First i started SBRelay..and then Fs9...went to the Multiplayer Session...but nothing appeared there...well i wrote 127.0.0.1 and wanted to search...but even that doesn't work..no connection appeared. I'm using ZoneLabs for firewall and got XP. Can someone exactly say me what i have to do,because I've tried already to disable the ZoneLabs and Xp firewall,and it doesn't work yet-..maybe i've done it wrong

Sounds like a problem of the old 4.x ZoneAlarms.. Have you upgraded to a 5.x version of ZoneAlarm? With 5-series, the thing works with the firewall on (with ZoneAlarm you don't need to use Windows' firewall). Also, is the last message you get when starting SBRelay "You can now connect SquawkBox 2 and FS2004 to this server."?

b[Mod - Happy Thoughts]e @ IRCnet

http://b[Mod - Happy Thoughts]e.fi/

Owen Catherwood 903683
Posted
Posted
hi,

Thanks for your help

Lukas

Lukas, try disabling ZA prior to starting SBRelay (ZA for some reason doesn't like the recieving of other a/c's info). Also, make sure that the SSDP Discovery Service and Universal Plug and Play Host are disabled from the services.msc (start->run, then type in services.msc)

KZSE C3/Facilities Administrator

1798.png

Dave Weese 817228
Posted
Posted
First i started SBRelay..and then Fs9...went to the Multiplayer Session.

When are you starting Squawkbox?

Look at the SBRelay window, do you see a red line and a few lines saying something like FS2002/FS2004 servers started or running?

Are you running Norton or McAfee? They have been known to cause problems, and yes ZoneAlarm just came out with an update to its free and pro versions a few weeks back to fix a problem with Multi-player games.

Dave Weese (CXA007)

Fleet Manager

Canadian Xpress Virtual Airline®

http://www.CanadianXpress.ca

Lukas Kulik 917478
Posted
Posted

thanks for your fast replies

- well, right, i don't shut down Zonelabs completely,..so i will try first. ( But I think this would be not a good idea for long because of virus...does anyone now another solution?)

- the windows firewall is completely disabled,only zonelabs is running

- i started SBRelay first...waited for some time till a red line appeared saying "You can now connect to Fs2004 or Squawkbox". After that i started FS9,went to start the Multiplayer session,but there wasn't one...even after i typed "127.0.0.1" down. But i haven't started Squawkbox yet. Shall i start first SBrelay then Squawkbox and at the end FS9, or doesn't it matter?

- and no,i don"t run Norton or McAfee (only another Antivirus programm but i think it's not that problem)

- and no, i've got no router

thanks for your help,i will try it

Lukas

Regards,

Lukas Kulik

VATSIM Supervisor

vACC-Germany

Lukas Kulik 917478
Posted
Posted

ahh...one more thing...you said something about some ports which i had to open,..hmm,how do i do that and where exactly? do i have to open ports only if i've got a router (bacause i haven't)or even without?

thanks

Lukas

Regards,

Lukas Kulik

VATSIM Supervisor

vACC-Germany

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> - i started SBRelay first...waited for some time till a red line appeared saying "You can

> now connect to Fs2004 or Squawkbox". After that i started FS9,went to start the

> Multiplayer session,but there wasn't one...even after i typed "127.0.0.1" down.

For me is sounds like firewall-problem and nothing else.

> do i have to open ports only ..

Let say you have to open ports if you have a firewall.

(And yes everybody using XP need a firewall).

If you don't have a router, you can use any firewall you like in your computer, but it's recommended by Vatsim to use Zonelabs and then disable all other firewalls such as XP-firewall in the computer.

My self I can not help you at all with Zonelabs, I never succeded to use it with Vatsim. but since it's recommended it can not be very hard to get to work.

If you take risk and shut down Zonelabs and have no firewall for a short time to try, then you will see if your issue is the firewall because then the problem should go away. In this case you don't need to open any port, in this case all possible port are complete open.

It is when using a firewall that by default all ports are closed in your computer, and when using a firewall than you have to open required port.

More info:

A router have a built in firewall.

Take note also that some modem such as some ADSL-modem, can also have built in firewall, see your manual, it should be clearly written if it has built in firewall.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Lukas Kulik 917478
Posted
Posted

wooow,it works!!...i mean,i disabled ZoneLabs,and the SBRelay- Multiplayersession was shown ...but,what shall i do that it even works with zoneLabs?

thanks

lukas

Regards,

Lukas Kulik

VATSIM Supervisor

vACC-Germany

Dave Weese 817228
Posted
Posted

When you say ZoneLabs do you mean ZoneAlarm? Because ZoneLabs makes ZoneAlarm...Or is this something else?

If it is ZoneAlarm, go get the free update patch. http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/rapidDeploy/press/2004/pr_27.html

Its from Nov 9 will correct your problem.

Dave Weese (CXA007)

Fleet Manager

http://www.CanadianXpress.ca

Lukas Kulik 917478
Posted
Posted

sorry,i mean Zone Alarm Pro ...thanks for that,i try that patch...wish me luck

lukas

Regards,

Lukas Kulik

VATSIM Supervisor

vACC-Germany

Lukas Kulik 917478
Posted
Posted

juppieee!!!!!!!! I've got a connection!! i've installed the new ZoneAlarm patch (2.12.04), started SBRelay,and then FS9, new Multiplayer Session...and there it was--- "A connection to SBRelay"

At this point...thanks to all of you for the great help

hope this was the last time i post here with a problem to get SBRelay,Squawkbox... started

Lukas

Regards,

Lukas Kulik

VATSIM Supervisor

vACC-Germany

Dave Weese 817228
Posted
Posted

Another satisfied customer

Dave Weese (CXA007)

Fleet Manager