You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Core 2 Quad vs. Core i7

Harold Rutila 974112

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Hmm...

So which card do you think is better if I'm looking to build a new computer? I'm not into any graphic-intensive programs except for Flight Simulator X, the program for which I need the new system . I suppose I don't necessarily have to plan for the future, either, because by the time FS11 comes out (if ever), I will probably build a new computer.

FSX can't utilize quad-core technology yet, correct? If that's the case, should I consider going with just a duo core processor? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yusuf Pulatov 1054147
Posted
Posted

FSX seems to run great with i7 processors, based on experiments of course

[img]http://online.vatsimindicators.net/1054147/4730.png[/img]

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Harold: FSX does have some parallel coding with regards to autogen, but I find the autogen created objects kill FPS really quickly, so really you haven't gained much if anything at the end of the day Having said that most new games are able to load textures on the fly, on a separate core and that's huge increase. I wouldn't be surprised if they added that feature to FSX SP3 but I doubt it...

If its just for FSX go for the dual core, if you want it for other games buy an Xbox360 SOOO much cheaper..

john alusik 1005094
Posted
Posted

you can always get a Phenom II, performance just slightly lower than an i7, uses less power and cause less that $250 for 3ghz, now available on DDR3 boards

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Just got the i7 920 chip this weekend. And finally got around to testing the FSX performance. I was able to crank everything over to the right and still get about 6-8 more FPS from the previous 30fps. I got an additional 5fps from the SLI being enabled, where as before it wasn't helpful at all.

given that my last chip was a 2.4ghz Quad core.. this is a serious improvement overall. At this point unless your looking for a budget system stay away from anything that isn't an i7