You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

again...64 or 32 OS?

Bryan Richards

Bryan Richards
Posted
Posted

Okay my new computer is almost here and i don't know whether i should go out and buy XP64 bit or stick with 32 bit which i already have. I had originally made a final decision on XP64, but i stumbled across what seemed to be a new version "XP64 bit Version 3" which was released in this month, and with all the incompatibilities I'm reminded of it brings me right back to square 1. So i was wondering if anyone has tried this new version and if not, what are your thoughts on XP64 SP2?

I have already checked that all hardware are compatible with 64bit OS and drivers are available, however there are still some doubts.

I wanted to start a poll to help me with this decision but i cant find the poll option, but still i would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

idk, im thinking of getting XP64 Because the Vista 64 Benchmarks look terrible, maybe im looking at the wrong ones?

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

• 5 weeks later...
Bryan Richards
Posted
Posted

I have to resurrect this topic here. Im still unsure whether or not i should go 32 or 64bit. Ive been trying to google some things but ive only come across posts that are 3-5 years old. I bought a copy of XP 64 which is supposed to be current up to March 2009, just before XP SP3 was released, and i have yet to find if there are less incompatibility issues with some software or if its still all the same? Please help guys.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

bryan: bottom line save your money until Windows 7. Most any true 64-bit application is also going to require directx 10 and Vista and all that great stuff that isn't designed for XP. So use your current license one more time and when you get Windows 7 you'll most likely have a choice which version you install 32-bit or 64-bit. It's important to realize that 64bit software is rare unless it's data intensive software, and then it was really designed to run off a server motherboard. Now that even 3 gig is the minimum and 6gigs is just as cheap as 3 gigs there might be even benefit to making Windows 7 64-bit only, just like you don't have the option when buying an Intel chip.

Bryan Richards
Posted
Posted

Thanks Erhan, i will stick to 32bit for now, i considered 64bit mainly to eliminate OOM errors when using complex payware stuff for flightsim. My old machine is an Athlon 2400+ 1.7Ghz, 768Mbs ram, and a 256mb video card. The new one is supposed to be an Athlon 64bit Dual core 3.0Ghz, with 4 Gbs of ram, 768mb video card, and with my old machine i dont get OOM errors, even though i have the settings at medium-high. I guess i will just have to use the /3gb switch to help things along.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Ooh yeah 768mb is your problem right there that could definitely cause OOM errors without much effort at all. 4 gigs should virtually eliminate that problem leaving at least 2 gigs free for just FSX not that you'll ever need that much..