You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Upgrade or buy new?

Riobard Adams 1058058

Riobard Adams 1058058
Posted
Posted

I am running FS9 on a 2005 Dell Dimension 9100. It works well in most respects, even using add-on scenery and payware aircraft. The only problem is that my framerates drop precipitously in the presence of other traffic. A couple of nearby planes is usually tolerable, but near-paralysis sets in if I try to fly through anything more dense. This makes events such as Friday Night Ops an exercise in frustration. The problem can be solved by disabling multiplayer mode in FSInn, but obviously that causes all the other aircraft to disappear. I am running FS locked at 40 FPS and with most of the sliders set in the low to middle range, so I suspect that further tweaking will not be of much benefit.

The specs on my current system are as follows:

Pentium D820 Dual Core 2.8 GHz

1 GB RAM

256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800

Is my underpowered graphics card to blame for the poor performance? Is this something that can be easily fixed by an upgrade? If so, what is recommended? I have also considered buying a new system, but that seems rather frivolous as my existing computer works perfectly well for everything else I do (basic stuff only, no other gaming).

I consider myself to be illiterate when it comes to computer hardware, so any help from the experts is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rio.

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Talking about specs, yours is better than mine. I don't really have something important to add here, but some problems are not solved by "upgrade". What do you think are the other possibilities of this frame-rate drops?

My specs are:

Intel Pentium~ 4 2.40 Ghz, 256mb nVidia FX 5200 and 512 MB of RAM.

...with this specs, I can run fs9 on a liquid motion, with PMDG 744 and other environment add-on. I don't really aim for something higher than 30 fps but it locks the frame to 30 at all cost without any problem. (I do keep a good maintenance as well, since I had that virus dillema )

I know some of our pros have something for this..

Cheers!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

I would just gather 400 Bucks and Build your own system, Buying from HP or Dell is just a waste, you cant upgrade most parts in there.

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB