You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How to set approach via temp altitude?

Karl Kornel 964857

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

Hello Euroscope 3 users! This is my 3rd session in Euroscope (15h 30m so far, on CMH_APP), and I'm getting used to running the appropriate text commands to match the voice instructions I give (like turns, altitude changes, etc.). I have a question about the text command to use when clearing someone for an approach.

I'm looking at the Non-Standard Extensions wiki page; if I read it right, I should set the temporary altitude to "1" to mark a flight as cleared for the ILS approach. So, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming the aircraft is already selected, I type " 1 ". However, this just changes the temporary altitude to 100 feet. Selecting the approach in the data tag is OK; just via the keyboard is causing problems.

I'm guessing that I'm doing they key command wrong, and so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do it right. Could someone please tell me the sequence of keystrokes to mark a flight as cleared for the ILS approach?

Thanks much for your help!

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

hm, good question. did you try 00001? It obviously interprets the 1 as FL and not as altitude, but I think I never tried that by text.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Karl,

It is not possible to set the temporary altitude to "1" using the key commands (F8 ...). There you can define the values only in hundred feet. So F8 1 ASEL will set 100 feet as temp altitude. The only way to clear for the approach is via the TAG popup list. If you click to the temporary altitude item in the TAG then a popup list appears with the altitude values. This list contains two items "CL/APP" and "VAPP". If you select the first then it sets 1 as the temporary altitude and change the TAG item into a upside T. If you select the second the it sets 2 as temporary and changes the item to a symbol similar to an N.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted
Karl,

It is not possible to set the temporary altitude to "1" using the key commands (F8 ...). There you can define the values only in hundred feet. So F8 1 ASEL will set 100 feet as temp altitude. The only way to clear for the approach is via the TAG popup list.

<<>>

Ah, OK! I understand now. I wonder, would it be possible to make this clearer in the Wiki users guide? It seemed to me like "1" and "2" were numbers that I could enter in as temporary altitudes to make Euroscope do something special (like the "PUSH" or "H123" in the scratchpad).

Smoke Bomb! POOF

• 3 weeks later...
Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

Hello again!

Since my last post, I have been using Euroscope exclusively as I control on approach positions, including during two events. I have discovered that it is important to be able to tell Euroscope "this a/c is now cleared for an approach", but depending on my setup it can be a little comebersome.

(I have been using two monitors; the main monitor is where I type, and all tags are collapsed; my second monitor shows the same airspace, but with full tags; I am required to move my mouse from screen 1 to screen 2, or else expand/change/collapse a tag to clear for approach. I use keyboard much more than mouse.)

I know things are busy, and I am still a new Euroscope user, but this is what I've decided to do after thinking on it: I'd like to request an enhancement, allowing a user to send the text command ".QQ -1" to clear an a/c for an ILS approach, and ".QQ -2" for a visual approach. Euroscope would then recognize that as a special command, and act accordingly.

Please accept my apologies if this request is out of place!

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Aren't you using for example the Sector Exit List on your primary screen? Then you could add the Temp Level to that list and set the cleared approach flag via the list.

Stephan Boerner

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I also think that it is easier to clear them via the TAG or via the SEL list. But we can add the -1 and -2 or probably .QQ i or .QQ v for the approach.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted
Aren't you using for example the Sector Exit List on your primary screen? Then you could add the Temp Level to that list and set the cleared approach flag via the list.

Both yes and no

I have the sector exit list on-screen, but it is on the secondary screen, not the primary screen!

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Out of curiosity ... why are you working with collapsed tags only? Old habits from VRC? Because You will probably come across several situations, where working text won't really be satisfiing, as ES is not built for that.

Stephan Boerner

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted
Out of curiosity ... why are you working with collapsed tags only? Old habits from VRC? Because You will probably come across several situations, where working text won't really be satisfiing, as ES is not built for that.

Normally, yes, I use expanded tags. This was during two recent events where I was handling lots of traffic. I kept both monitors showing the same general view, with the second monitor showing the expanded tags. The first monitor was focused more closely on the final approach area. It actually worked pretty well!

As for my preferring the keyboard to the mouse, it is because I work on a laptop, and the trackpad is not as easy to use for precision work. I guess I will eventually cave in and get a little USB mouse!

Smoke Bomb! POOF