You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Self-Training, another suggestion

Michael Pike

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

I posted in another thread, suggesting that planes could automatically intercept the ILS when the user selects Clrd ILS from the altitude dropdown list. Approach training could be completely self-driven (working from the tags only) if the simulator could be modified so that aircraft would hold automatically.

When the "Auto" tick is selected, any aircraft would enter the hold automatically if the final waypoint matches one of the defined holds. They would then leave the hold only when [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a heading.

As an extra refinement, could we add speed to the hold definition so that when in "free speed", the aircraft would automatically slow to the defined hold speed as they approached it?

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Michael,

As I told the first one is ready.

I am not convinced that the second one is really useful. Even if you enter a plane to the holding you may want him to follow the route later. So deleting and then reentering the route may be more problematic then pressing the HOLD button. In the new release there is a new toolbar, so you can drive the planes more easily without the big dialog.

The speed for holding is a good idea. I will register.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Many thanks. My first sentence above was not intended as a reminder

Regarding the holds, at the moment, a plane on AHDG continues to the final waypoint and then stays on the final heading. My thought was that this is not useful and would not happen in a real controlling scenario where vectors are provided from the STAR. If that last waypoint is a defined hold, could they not hold instead of continuing on the heading when they have not been [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a heading? This is not intended for when there are further waypoints in the route; only when they have come to the end.

I can see the problem for en-route holding and for RNAV approaches that are not vectored, which may be common in Europe. So I'm happy to wait for the next release and see what you've got in store!

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK