You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about tower controllers

David Scott 1106346

David Scott 1106346
Posted
Posted

Hi

As a relative newbie, I'm finding VATSIM and VATSIM-UK (my local division) fascinating. I would post this question at their forum but I felt this was a generic question.

When I start up sometimes at an airport using SQUAWKBOX, I am unable to communicate with its respective tower. It's OK at airports such as Heathrow but I went to Stansted and Luton tonight and neither had communicable towers.

Any ideas why?

Thanks.

David.

Gareth Williams 840232
Posted
Posted

Hi David,

the situation is the same anywhere in the world.

Controllers log on when they can and will connect as positions that they are either able to by rating or happy to connect to in a given situation.

When logging on at an airfield always look for the controller that is most applicable to you. In other words; if DEL is available at your field then talk to them; if no DEL then check for GND. If no DEL or GND then look for your airfields TWR controller; if they're not online then look for the local APP controller.

If there is no direct coverage of the field you are at then you may find that the local CTR controller will provide some service (your mileage may vary depending upon worldwide location and local top-down policy)

hth,

Gareth

David Scott 1106346
Posted
Posted

It certainly does help, thanks Gareth.

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

Hi David,

Just to add to Gareth's post. In the UK there are a few "regional approach units that cover more than one airfield that can be relevant in your case but may not be obivious if you don't know the local area.

ESSEX_APP covers EGGW and EGSS.

SOLENT_APP covers EGHH and EGHI

THAMES_APP covers EGKB and EGLC.

I think EGAA_R_APP also covers EGAC but not 100% about that one though.

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor